These star fruit chips are a tasty low carb snack or edible decoration. Dusted in pumpkin spice they are baked until dry and crispy for a tasty keto and gluten free treat.
I did not use any sweetener as I found them to be naturally sweet and the warmth of the spices gives a delicious flavour. “They taste like Christmas” declared the Chief Taster as he went back for another helping. He found them a handy snack when at work and the 4pm sugar cravings kicked in.
ARE STAR FRUITS KETO?
Although the star fruit is a tropical fruit, they are great for a keto diet. Star fruit are also known as five finger fruit or carambola. When you slice them they look like a start. Ranging in colour from green to yellow, they are low in calories, a great source of vitamin C and have anti-inflammatory properties. You can enjoy ½ cup at only 2.6g net carbs. The fibre content is good too, with 1.8g.
WHAT DOES STAR FRUIT TASTE LIKE?
When the star fruit is yellow, it is at it’s ripest. It has a juicy, slightly sweet taste between a grape and a pear. A green star fruit tastes a bit like an apple, but I personally prefer them ripe.
STAR FRUIT WARNINGS
However, a word of caution for those of you with kidney issues. Star fruit has a high oxalate content, and this is not good for the kidneys. They are also extremely toxic to dogs too.
Star fruit chips can be enjoyed as a snack, in a low carb granola, sprinkled over keto ice cream or simply as their raw selves.
HOW TO MAKE KETO STAR FRUIT CHIPS
These tasty star fruit chips are very easy to make. Store them in a sealed container once cool.
More Star Fruit Recipes
Keto Star Fruit Chip
- 2 star fruits
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin spice
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F
- Thinly slice the star fruits.
- Gently remove the seeds with a teaspoon.
- Place the slices in a bowl and sprinkle the pumpkin spice over them. Mix them well to ensure that all slices are covered.
- Place the slices on a parchment lined baking tray
- Bake for 30-35 until crisp (flip over half way through cooking time). Oven's can vary so you may need more time.