Our low carb star fruit smoothie is a simple and healthy way to start your morning with a tropical flavor. A starfruit tastes like a combination of kiwifruit and pineapple.
Also know as carambola is a great low carb fruit and we enjoy it in cakes, smoothies and salads.
This keto smoothie has a light taste and is refreshing. It is a great protein smoothie for keto vegetarians with 24g of protein per serving and 7g net carbohydrates.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Are Star Fruit Keto Friendly?
Star fruit is lower in carbohydrates than some berries with just 4.2g net carbs per 100g serving. High in vitamin C and antioxidants they make a great low carb fruit.
They are a tropical fruit native to South East Asia and the Caribbean but are becoming more widely available.
A word of caution for those of you with kidney issues. Star fruit has a very high oxalate content and should be avoided.
This fruit is very toxic to dogs so keep it firmly away from them.
Star Fruit Smoothie Ingredients
To increase the protein content for this low carb smoothie we have added protein powder and Greek yogurt.
- To make this vegan or dairy-free, swap the Greek yogurt for coconut milk and use a vegan protein powder.
- Hemp hearts are full of amino acids and are a great source of protein.
- The Chia seeds are a good source of fiber, calcium and omega-3.
How to Make Star Fruit Smoothie
Any smoothie recipe is just add the ingredients into a high speed blender and mix. Before this ingredients are blitzed, the star fruit must be prepared. Remove the edges, trim the top and bottom and remove any seeds.
More keto smoothies to enjoy
A smoothie is a great start to the day and a way to improving your protein macros.
Star Fruit Smoothie
- 1 medium star fruit
- 1 scoop whey protein powder
- 1 tablespoon hemp hearts
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 5 oz Greek yogurt
- ½ cup ice cubes
- With a sharp knife, slice the edges from the star fruit.
- Remove the top and bottom of the fruit and cut into ¼ inch slices. Remove any seeds.
- Place all of the ingredients into a blender and pulse until smooth. Scrap the sides down if necessary.
- Pour into glasses and serve immediately. Try a garnish of a star fruit slice.
YOUR OWN NOTES