This cheesy, cream celeriac gratin makes a delicious low carb side dish. It's simple to make but easy to eat!
Celeriac makes a great low carb alternative to potatoes. I've enjoyed it as hash browns, roasted and as French fries. This creamy side dish knocked the others off the list and is currently our favourite celeriac recipe.
Is celeriac low carb?
Celeriac is a great low carb vegetable with 7.2g net carbs 100g which is half of a potato that is 14g net carbs. It's a strange nobbly vegetable that may be off putting but don't shy away from it.
Celeriac is also a great source of fiber, vitamins, antioxidants and minerals.
How make a celeriac gratin
A traditional gratin is made with thinly sliced potatoes baked in cream with a cheesy top or breadcrumbs. This celeriac recipe is a low carb version of a gratin but does not disappoint.
The celeriac must be thinly sliced for them to cook thoroughly.
Try other seasonings and herbs in the gratin. Thyme or rosemary.
Add fresh cooked spinach or chopped chives for a hearty dish.
Substitute the vegetarian Parmesan with vegetarian pecorino.
More Low Carb Vegetarian Side Dishes
- 1 celeriac about 800g
- 1 medium onion peeled and sliced
- 3 cloves garlic peeled & chopped
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese grated
- 500 ml Cream, heavy about 2 ¼ cups
- 2 tablespoons parsley, fresh chopped
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon celery pepper or black pepper
- Preheat oven to 200C/400F degrees
- Peel the celeriac and cut into 4.
- Slice the celeriac into 1 cm slices
- Lightly grease a baking dish with 1 tablespoon of the butter
- Layer slices of the celeriac in the baking dish, overlapping each other.
- Place half the onion and garlic over the celeriac slices.
- Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Scatter ⅓ of the cheddar cheese over the celeriac layer.
- Repeat the layers.
- Sprinkle the parsley over the top.
- Pour the cream over the celeriac and bake for 50 minutes until golden on the top and the celeriac are soft.
- Serve and enjoy!
YOUR OWN NOTES