This roasted celeriac recipe is stuffed whole and makes a great keto vegetarian centerpiece for any event! Stuffed with nuts, pepper and onions it's also vegan, paleo and gluten free.
Either as a main dish, or serve sliced as a side dish, this roasted celeriac has a creamy subtle nutty taste that is enhanced by the filling.
How to cook whole roasted celeriac
The trickiest thing about this dish is peeling the celeriac and scooping out the inside for the stuffing. A sharp knife and a good spoon are key!
When scooping out the middle you can vary how much of a center for the stuffing you want. I kept it fairy small as you can see by the photos but you could make the "well" for the stuffing deeper for a packed roasted celeriac.
Recipe Tips & Suggestions
Play around with the stuffing and add cheese to increase the protein. A strong goats cheese or blue cheese would be a great choice.
You can make this ahead and roast the whole celeriac whole without the stuffing. Keep wrapped in silver foil in the fridge until you are ready to stuff and finish cooking the celeriac.
If you have any left over, slice it and fry it in butter for breakfast with eggs. I tried this and it was like having fried potatoes in the morning!
More keto vegetarian main dishes
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Stuffed Whole Roasted Celeriac
- 1 whole celeriac (celery root)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 small onion
- ½ red pepper finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic peeled & chopped
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- ¼ cup walnuts chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
Prepare & Cook the Celeriac
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees
- Peel the celeriac and cut the knobbly parts of the base off. Trim the celeriac so that the base can stand upright.
- Make a slight indentation in the top of the celeriac and hollow out the middle. I used a small spoon and managed to remove the celeriac middle to about halfway down.
- Lightly brush the celeriac with the olive oil and season.
- Cover the celeriac with silver foil and place in a baking tray. Roast for 1 ¼ hours.
Make the Stuffing
- Heat the olive oil in a small frying pan on a medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion and garlic and cook for two minutes until soft.
- Add the chopped red pepper and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the thyme, salt, pepper and chopped walnuts.
- Remove the celeriac from the oven after roasting, remove the silver foil and spoon the stuffing into the hollowed out center.
- Place the stuffed celeriac back in the oven and cook for 15 minutes.
YOUR OWN NOTES