This keto vegetarian nut roast is made with a delicious blend of brazil nuts and walnuts with a cranberry topping. It makes a great holiday dish and is also gluten free.
Some nut roasts can be a bit dry, but this is a moist yet firm recipe that can be served hot or cold. When the nut roast is cold, try it with a side salad or make a hearty keto vegetarian wrap with low carb flatbread and a dash of mayonnaise or dip.
Brazil nuts are not a local nut and are rarely imported so when I came across a bag of them in a supermarket I was delighted. Although I was tempted to dip them in melted chocolate and enjoy them as I did as a child, the adult in me leaned towards making a nut roast with them. As I associate brazil nuts with Christmas, a centerpiece dish with them was on the menu!
Are brazil nuts keto?
Brazil nuts are in the top 5 best nuts to enjoy on a keto diet with only 1.3g net carbs per 1oz (28g).
Brazil nuts are the also a great source of selenium, which helps stabilises our moods and fights inflammation.
Can you make this recipe in advance?
You could make this nut roast in advance but because of the cranberry topping I would advise that you do not assemble the dish until you are ready to cook. Make the cranberry topping and the nut roast ahead of time and store in the fridge.
Can I use different nuts?
Any blend of nuts can be used for this keto vegetarian nut roast recipe. Pecans, macadamias, hazelnuts and walnuts are all a great choice for a keto vegetarian roast.
Can nut roast leftovers be frozen?
Any left-overs should be sliced, wrapped in clingfilm and frozen. Defrost before heating it up to enjoy.
What sauce shall I serve?
What do I serve nut roast with?
How to make this nut roast keto vegan
Replace the cheddar cheese and eggs with sauteed mushrooms. Add a tablespoon or two of coconut aminos or Tamari sauce to help bind the mixture. A tablespoon or two of hemp hearts always helps to bind a nut roast too.
Recipe Tips & Suggestions
The brazil nuts need to be roasted before use to give them extra flavour.
I used a circular cake tin but a 2lb loaf tin can be used instead.
To save time on chopping the onions, celery and garlic, use a food processor.
Add your own touch to the herbs. I prefer a heavier taste of thyme so will increase it to the recipe here.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Nut Roast with Cranberries
- 7 oz cranberries
- 2 tablespoons monkfruit powdered low carb sweetener
- 10 oz brazil nuts
- 4 oz walnuts
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery finely chopped
- 4 oz Cheddar cheese grated
- 2 medium eggs beaten
- 2 tablespoons thyme fresh
- 2 tablespoons rosemary fresh
- 2 tablespoons parsley fresh
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees.
- Line an 8 inch spring form cake pan with parchment paper and secure foil around the outside of the bottom of the tin. The foil stops any cranberry juices spilling out.
Roast the brazil nuts
- You can either place them on a baking tray and bake for 5-10 minutes until they are golden OR pan roast them in a skillet pan.
Prepare the Cranberries
- Place the cranberries and the powdered monkfruit in a saucepan on a low heat and gently cook them until the cranberries are starting to become juicy. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
Make the Nut Roast
- Chop the brazil nuts and walnuts either in a food processor or by hand. I prefer them finely chopped for a smoother nut roast.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan on a medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and celery and cook for 5 minutes until soft.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the chopped nuts, cheese, eggs and seasoning. Stir well until the mixture is combined.
- Spoon the cranberries into the base of an 8inch spring form release cake tin.
- Place the nut roast mixture on top of the cranberries and pack in tightly and evenly.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until firm
- Remove from the oven and allow the nut roast to rest in the tin for 15 minutes before serving. It cuts better if you do this.
YOUR OWN NOTES