This keto vegetarian nut roast with cranberries is made with a delicious blend of low carb nuts with a cranberry topping. It makes a great holiday dish and is also gluten- free and egg-free.
Some nut roasts can be a bit dry, but this is a moist yet firm recipe that can be served hot or cold. When the nut roast is cold, try it with a side salad or make a hearty keto vegetarian wrap with low carb flatbread and a dash of mayonnaise or dip.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
- The Ingredients
- Can I use different nuts?
- How to make nut roast with cranberries
- Can you make this recipe in advance?
- Can nut roast leftovers be frozen?
- What sauce shall I serve?
- What do I serve nut roast with?
- How to make this nut roast keto vegan
- Recipe Tips & Suggestions
- More low carb nut roast recipes
- Nut Roast with Cranberries
We have not used eggs to bind this nut roast together as the grated cheese makes it moist enough.
Can I use different nuts?
Any blend of low carb nuts can be used for this keto vegetarian nut roast recipe. Pecans, macadamias, hazelnuts and walnuts are all a great choice for a keto vegetarian roast.
How to make nut roast with cranberries
This is an easy nut roast recipe that uses a food processor to mix the ingredients.
Cook onions, celery and garlic and add to a food processor with remaining ingredients.
Blend the nut roast ingredients until smooth
Lightly cook the cranberries and place in the bottom of a tin.
Spoon the blended nut mixture on top of the cranberries and bake
Can you make this recipe in advance?
You could make this nut roast in advance but because of the cranberry topping I would advise that you do not assemble the dish until you are ready to cook. Make the cranberry topping and the nut roast ahead of time and store in the fridge.
Can nut roast leftovers be frozen?
Any left-overs should be sliced, wrapped in clingfilm and frozen. Defrost before heating it up to enjoy.
What sauce shall I serve?
I would recommend my mushroom sauce or try the vegan cheese sauce I made with my cabbage gratin.
What do I serve nut roast with?
As with any roast dinners, enjoy hearty vegetable side recipes such as roasted vegetables, creamy mashed cauliflower, a broccoli gratin, a show stopper of stuffed celeriac and cabbage slices.
How to make this nut roast keto vegan
Replace the cheddar cheese and eggs with sauteed mushrooms. Add a tablespoon or two of coconut aminos or Tamari sauce to help bind the mixture. A tablespoon or two of hemp hearts always helps to bind a nut roast too.
Recipe Tips & Suggestions
The nuts can be roasted before use to give them extra flavor.
I used a circular cake tin with a removable bottom but a 2lb loaf tin can be used instead.
To save time on chopping the onions, celery and garlic, use a food processor.
Add your own touch to the herbs. I prefer a heavier taste of thyme so will increase it to the recipe here.
More low carb nut roast recipes
Nut Roast with Cranberries
- 7 oz cranberries
- 2 tablespoons monkfruit powdered low carb sweetener
- 5 oz walnuts
- 1 oz porcini mushrooms
- 3 oz almonds
- 3 oz pecans
- 3 oz hazelnuts
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery finely chopped
- 4 oz Cheddar cheese grated
- 2 tablespoons thyme fresh
- 2 tablespoons rosemary fresh
- 2 tablespoons parsley fresh
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees.
- Grease and line an 8 inch spring form cake pan with parchment paper and secure foil around the outside of the bottom of the tin. The foil stops any cranberry juices spilling out.
Roast the nuts
- You can either place them on a baking tray and bake for 5-10 minutes until they are golden OR pan roast them in a skillet pan.
Prepare the Cranberries
- Place the cranberries and the powdered monkfruit in a saucepan on a low heat and gently cook them until the cranberries are starting to become juicy. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
Make the Nut Roast
- Process the nuts in a food processor until fairly smooth.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan on a medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and celery and cook for 5 minutes until soft.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add to the food processor with the cheese, herbs and seasoning. Pulse until combined and smooth.
- Spoon the cranberries into the base of an 8inch spring form release cake tin.
- Place the nut roast mixture on top of the cranberries and pack in tightly and evenly.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until firm
- Remove from the oven and allow the nut roast to rest in the tin for 15 minutes before serving. It cuts better if you do this.
YOUR OWN NOTES
How is this bound together please - there is no mentioned of Egg? Also, is there a good replacement for the cheese please?
Angela Coleby says
It's the cheese that helps bind the nut roast. You could swap it for an egg.