A delicious vegetarian nut loaf full of cauliflower, cheese, almond and herbs. It’s light, moist and full of flavour. A lemon herb layer gives the loaf an extra flavour.
This vegetarian version of a meatloaf uses cauliflower rice with a herb layer made with hemp hearts. Serve with a mushroom sauce and sides of green bean casserole, turnip au gratin, cabbage au gratin and tofu mac and cheese.
How to make a cauliflower nut loaf
What You Need
- Cauliflower - A medium sized cauliflower about 500g is made into cauliflower rice. I do not pre cook the cauliflower rice either.
- Almond Flour - Almond meal (ground almonds) works well too. You could use other ground nuts in place of the almond flour. Walnuts would be a great choice.
- Eggs - I use medium sized eggs.
- Cream - heavy or whipping cream.
- Cheddar Cheese - This helps keep the loaf moist.
- Celery, onion and garlic - Used in the herb layer. I wanted to create flavours of a stuffing.
- Lemon - The juice and grated zest give the herb layer a great flavour.
- Hemp Hearts - I used these as a replacement for breadcrumbs in the herb layer.
More keto vegetarian main recipes
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Cauliflower Nut Loaf
A hearty vegetarian nut loaf with cauliflower
- 1 medium cauliflower
- 6 medium eggs
- 4 tablespoons cream heavy
- 1 cup almond flour
- ½ cup Cheddar cheese grated
- 2 tablespoons chives chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 celery sticks finely chopped
- 1` medium onion finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon sage dry or fresh
- ¼ cup parsley, fresh chopped
- 1 lemon juice & grated rind
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- ½ cup hemp hearts
Make the herb layer
- In a large frying pan, heat the butter on a medium heat.
- Cook the onion, garlic and celery for 5 minutes until soft.
- Remove from the heat and add the herbs and hemp hearts. Stir well.
Make the cauliflower layer
- Cut the cauliflower into florets and place them in a food processor and pulse using the S blade until they resemble rice.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs with the cream.
- Add the cauliflower rice, almond flour, Cheddar cheese, chives and seasoning. Stir well.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/35F degrees.
- Grease and line the bottom of a 1lb loaf tin with parchment paper.
- Spoon ⅔rds of cauliflower mixture into the loaf tin and spread evenly.
- Place the herb layer on top of the cauliflower mix.
- Spoon the remaining cauliflower mixture on top.
- Bake at 45-55 minutes until the top is golden and firm.
The net carbs will be the total carb count minus the fibre count. Carb count excludes sugar alcohols. Any nutritional analysis on the website is based on an estimate, calculated by http://nutritiondata.self.com from the individual ingredients in each recipe. Variations may occur for various reasons, including product availability and food preparation. We make no representation or warranty of the accuracy of this information.
YOUR OWN NOTES
Serving: 1sliceCalories: 247kcalCarbohydrates: 9gProtein: 12gFat: 19gFiber: 3g
Do you know your macros?Check out Free Macro Calculator!
Tried this recipe?Mention @KetoVegetarianRecipes on Instagram or hashtag it #ketovegetarianrecipes!
Will the cauliflower nut roast freeze? Thanks
Angela Coleby says
Yes it will.