A delicious vegetarian nut loaf full of cauliflower, cheese, almond and herbs. It’s light, moist and full of flavour. A lemon herb layer gives the loaf an extra flavour.
This vegetarian version of a meatloaf uses cauliflower rice with a herb layer made with hemp hearts. Serve with a mushroom sauce and sides of green bean casserole, turnip au gratin, cabbage au gratin and tofu mac and cheese.
How to make a cauliflower nut loaf
What You Need
- Cauliflower - A medium sized cauliflower about 500g is made into cauliflower rice. I do not pre cook the cauliflower rice either.
- Almond Flour - Almond meal (ground almonds) works well too. You could use other ground nuts in place of the almond flour. Walnuts would be a great choice.
- Eggs - I use medium sized eggs.
- Cream - heavy or whipping cream.
- Cheddar Cheese - This helps keep the loaf moist.
- Celery, onion and garlic - Used in the herb layer. I wanted to create flavours of a stuffing.
- Lemon - The juice and grated zest give the herb layer a great flavour.
- Hemp Hearts - I used these as a replacement for breadcrumbs in the herb layer.
More keto vegetarian main recipes
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Cauliflower Nut Loaf
- 1 medium cauliflower
- 6 medium eggs
- 4 tablespoons cream heavy
- 1 cup almond flour
- ½ cup Cheddar cheese grated
- 2 tablespoons chives chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 celery sticks finely chopped
- 1` medium onion finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon sage dry or fresh
- ¼ cup parsley, fresh chopped
- 1 lemon juice & grated rind
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- ½ cup hemp hearts
Make the herb layer
- In a large frying pan, heat the butter on a medium heat.
- Cook the onion, garlic and celery for 5 minutes until soft.
- Remove from the heat and add the herbs and hemp hearts. Stir well.
Make the cauliflower layer
- Cut the cauliflower into florets and place them in a food processor and pulse using the S blade until they resemble rice.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs with the cream.
- Add the cauliflower rice, almond flour, Cheddar cheese, chives and seasoning. Stir well.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/35F degrees.
- Grease and line the bottom of a 1lb loaf tin with parchment paper.
- Spoon ⅔rds of cauliflower mixture into the loaf tin and spread evenly.
- Place the herb layer on top of the cauliflower mix.
- Spoon the remaining cauliflower mixture on top.
- Bake at 45-55 minutes until the top is golden and firm.