Easy keto turnip au gratin is a creamy, cheesy version of scalloped potatoes. It's a great side dish and goes with everything!
With turnip being an easy keto swap for potatoes, these scalloped turnips are a great side dish for a Sunday dinner or the holidays. This dish could convert a turnip hater!
Thin slices of turnips are seasoned and cooked in a cream with layers of garlic and cheese. Rich, satisfying and low in carbs too!
Are turnips keto?
Turnips are a ground vegetable that is suitable for a keto diet. Most ground vegetables are high in carbs but turnips have 4.2g net carbs per 100g serving.
Turnips cook similar to a potato and make a great keto alternative. As well as a gratin, you could serve them mashed, fried or hash browns.
What do turnips taste like?
Turnips may be a great low carb for potatoes but they do not taste the same. They have a slightly mild bitter taste that can be removed through cooking and seasoning.
Baking the turnips in cream softens the taste as well as the texture. Don't be shy with the seasoning either!
How to make keto turnip au gratin
The key to a great turnip au gratin is thin even slices so that they cook evenly.
Some large turnips may have a slight bitterness to them but this can be removed by boiling the slices for 10 minutes. Drain and dry before use.
- Turnips - Choose firm medium or small turnips. They should be easy to peel.
- Garlic - This can be replaced with garlic powder if the flavour of fresh garlic is too strong for you. For garlic lovers, add a couple more cloves!
- Cream - Heavy or whipping cream.
- Thyme - Fresh or dry will work. We prefer fresh.
- Cheddar Cheese - Use a good quality Cheddar cheese. Step away from the yellow, rubbery tasteless cheese.
- Mozzarella/Gouda - For a very cheesy dish add another cheese. You can omit these and just use the Cheddar.
- Nutmeg - Entirely optional. We use it for a slight kick of flavour. A dash of cayenne pepper could be substituted.
- Salt & Pepper - White pepper is preferred but black pepper will do.
What to serve with keto scalloped turnips
Whether you are serving this keto turnip recipe as a holiday or dinner side dish, this turnip au gratin goes great with a low carb vegetarian nut roast. Try our mushroom walnut loaf or a festive nut roast with cranberries.
More low carb vegetarian side dishes
The turnips need to be thinly sliced to cook through. Use a sharp knife or mandolin. Thicker slices may take longer to cook.
Try adding different cheeses for extra flavour.
This can be made the day before and reheated.
Add some cream cheese to the cream before pouring it over the turnip slices for an extra rich dish.
Make individual turnips au gratin by placing slices in a small to medium gratin dish.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Keto Turnip Au Gratin
- 4 medium turnips
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup cream heavy/whipping
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese grated/shredded
- 1 cup Mozzarella or Gouda cheese grated/shredded
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon white pepper black can be used
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees.
- Peel and thinly slice the turnips. Use a sharp knife or Mandoline.
- Use a small amount of butter to grease a baking dish. We used an 9 inch dish.
- Layer the sliced turnips in the bottom of the dish and season. Scatter ⅓ of the minced garlic over the turnips.
- Pour ⅓ of the cream over the turnip slices and scatter ⅓ of the cheeses on top.
- Repeat with another 2 layers of turnip slices ending on a layer of cheese on top.
- Cover the baking dish with silver foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the silver foil and continue to bake for another 20 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!