This creamy broccoli keto gratin is packed with flavour. Blue cheese makes this broccoli recipe a comforting low carb vegetarian side dish for a cold day or the holidays.
What blue cheese is vegetarian?
Always check the label of your cheese to see if any animal rennet has been used to make it. Many types of blue cheese are vegetarian but Gorgonzola and Roquefort are not. Happily, Stilton is and goes great with broccoli in this dish.
This list of cheeses shows the carbs as well as whether they are suitable for vegetarians. https://ketovegetarianrecipes.com/carbs-cheese/
How to make broccoli keto gratin
The key to this broccoli dish is the cheese sauce. This simple recipe has blanched broccoli baked in a rich cheesy sauce. All you need to make this is a few ingredients.
- Broccoli - Pick a firm, fresh, green head of broccoli.
- Blue Cheese - Check it's vegetarian
- Cheddar Cheese - Choose a good quality Cheddar.
- Cream Cheese
- Cream - Heavy cream
- Butter - Unsalted
- Mustard - Dijon mustard
Recipe Tips & Suggestions
Replace half the broccoli with cauliflower for a mixed vegetable bake.
You can prepare this dish ahead by cooking the broccoli and making the sauce. Bring them together for the gratin when you are ready to bake.
Add chopped walnuts to the topping for added crunch and flavour.
Looking for more keto side dishes?
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Broccoli Blue Cheese Gratin
- 16 oz broccoli About 2 heads of broccoli
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup cream heavy
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 4 oz Cheddar cheese
- 4 oz blue cheese vegetarian
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Chop the broccoli into florets.
- In a medium saucepan, cook the broccoli florets in lightly salted boiling water for 3-4 minutes, or until tender.
- Drain the broccoli and set aside.
Make the sauce
- Whilst the broccoli is cooking, make the sauce.
- In a medium saucepan, add the butter, cream cheese and cream and cook on a medium heat, stirring occasionally until smooth.
- Add the mustard, Cheddar cheese and half of the blue cheese. Stir until smooth and season with the salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F degrees.
- Place the broccoli into a baking dish.
- Pour the cheesy sauce over the broccoli and crumble the remaining blue cheese on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes until the top is bubbling.
YOUR OWN NOTES