This vegetarian mushroom wellington uses a low carb coconut flour pastry for a hearty keto vegetarian main dish. A simple low carb vegetarian dish that can be made ahead too.
How to make a vegetarian mushroom wellington
A traditional vegetarian wellington uses puff pastry but this low carb version uses a coconut flour and psyllium husk pastry. A dash of flaxseed meal helps give the pastry a wholemeal taste but you can omit it if you wish.
The filling must be cool before assembling the wellington as it would make the pastry soggy if not. You could make the filling ahead and assemble closer to cooking time.
When assembling the wellington make sure that you don't spread the filling out too much as the rolled out pastry needs to cover the filling completely.
To make this keto vegan
You can make this keto mushroom recipe vegan simply by omitting the egg in the pastry and replacing it with additional coconut oil.
Recipe Tips & Suggestions
Add cheese to the filling but I would recommend a fairly hard cheese such as Cheddar. I added Brie to a mushroom wellington and it seems to dissolve into the pastry and was not a success!
Add chopped nuts to the filling for a wellington with crunch. Walnuts would be a great addition to the mushrooms.
For a richer low carb pastry, replace the coconut oil with melted butter.
More keto mushroom recipes
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon psyllium husk powder
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal I prefer golden
- 6 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 medium egg
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup boiling water
- 14 oz mushrooms
- 1 medium onion peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 cup spinach, frozen defrosted
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small egg beaten
Make the Pastry
- In a medium bowl, mix the coconut flour, flaxseed meal, salt, baking powder and psyllium husk powder together.
- Add the coconut oil and blend well.
- Add the egg and mix thoroughly.
- Add the boiling water and mix until you have a dough.
- Let the dough stand for 30 minutes to firm.
Make the Filling
- In a large frying pan heat the olive oil on a medium heat and add the onion and garlic. Cook for 3 minutes until soft.
- Clean and slice the mushrooms and cook for a further 5 minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure that the mushrooms are evenly cooked.
- Add the spinach and seasoning. Stir through then remove from the heat.
- Allow to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F degrees
- Roll the pastry out in between two sheets of parchment paper to a large rectangle shape with about 5mm thickness. Don’t roll the pastry too thin as you need it to hold the filling.
- Spoon the mixture into the middle of the dough, keeping it a rectangle shape.
- Using the parchment paper, gently bring up the edges of the pastry over the filling so that the pastry covers it. Smooth out any edges and ensure that there are no holes.
- Carefully turn over the wellington onto a parchment paper lined baking tray.
- Score the top of the wellington with a pattern.
- Brush the top of the wellington with the egg wash.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until golden and firm.
- Serve warm.