This keto low carb asparagus quiche has a great savory flavor and is so delicious that everyone will want a second slice. With a rich keto lupin flour pie crust, savory asparagus, spinach and Feta cheese it makes a tasty low carb and gluten-free quiche.
Who doesn't love a quiche? A quiche is perfect for lunch, brunch, picnics or any pot luck. With this rich buttery low carb crust you could be fooled into it being a high carb version.
How many carbs in asparagus?
Not only is fresh asparagus delicious it's a great low carb vegetable. Enjoy it when it's in season as it's only 1.8 grams of net carbohydrates per 100g serving.
Asparagus is a great healthy vegetable as it's low in calories, high in fiber and full of antioxidants. And just delicious when fresh.
Asparagus Quiche Ingredients
For this quiche crust we have used our lupin flour pie crust. It's low in carbs, high in fiber and is a nut-free, gluten-free and coconut-free crust. Don't be put off by the carbohydrate figure as you need to subtract the fiber content. When you do this, it's one of the lowest low carb flours you can use with a high protein count too.
By all means, use another low carb crust such as an almond flour or coconut flour crust. Or omit the crust completely for a crustless quiche.
For the filling, we air fried the asparagus but you could roast, steam or grill it. The asparagus does need to be cooked before using it as a quiche filling.
- Asparagus Spears- Ensure that the asparagus stalks are fresh.
- Spinach - We use frozen spinach and defrost it.
- Feta cheese - This cheese goes well with both asparagus and spinach. It could be substituted with Cheddar cheese or Goat's cheese.
- Cream - No quiche is made without a dash of cream.
- Spring onions - Add a slight savoury flavour to the filling.
- Seasonings - Salt, Pepper and a dash of nutmeg.
How to make keto asparagus quiche
Once you have made the lupin flour quiche, air fried the asparagus, this is a simple low carb quiche to assemble and bake.
- Make and bake the lupin flour quiche crust or another low carb quiche crust.
- Air fry the asparagus or cook it to your own preference.
- Add the spinach, chopped spring onions, Feta cheese and seasoning to the quiche crust.
- Pour in the egg and cream mixture.
- Place the asparagus spears on top.
- Bake, eat and enjoy!
Once baked, eaten and you may have a left over slice or two of this lupin flour quiche and these can be stored in an airtight container. Keep them in the refrigerator and they will keep for up to 4 days. Either enjoy the asparagus quiche cold or reheat them in the oven. Reheating the quiche in the microwave can cause the quiche crust to soften.
Frequently Asked Questions
This quiche freezes well. We suggest that you slice the asparagus quiche, either wrap it in plastic wrap or place in zip locked bags then freeze. Defrost in the refrigerator.
If you don't have lupin flour, then you can make this recipe with almond flour. For a coconut flour quiche crust you will need to reduce the quantity of flour used to about ¾ of a cup. You could even use a cauliflower crust.
More low carb vegetarian asparagus recipes
Enjoy the best of seasonal asparagus with these low carb vegetarian recipes.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Keto Asparagus Spinach Quiche
- 1 ½ cups lupin flour
- ½ cup butter
- 1 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 medium egg
- 2 oz cream cheese
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 8 oz asparagus spears
- 4 spring onions trimmed and chopped
- 1 cup Frozen spinach, defrosted
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 5 large eggs
- 1 cup Feta cheese crumbled or cut into cubes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C/350F degrees. Lightly grease or butter an 8 inch pie dish.
Make the quiche crust
- Place all ingredients in the food processor and pulse until you have a solid dough. It may be a bit sticky.
- Remove the dough from the food processor and wrap in parchment paper. Chill in the fridge for at least 10 minutes to firm up before rolling.
- Place the pastry dough in between two layers of parchment paper and roll out to the size of the pie dish.
- To place the pie crust in the baking dish, place the baking dish upside down over rolled pie crust. Hold one hand on the dish and slide your hand under the bottom parchment paper. Flip so the pie pan is on the bottom and pastry is on top.
- Remove the parchment paper and press down the edges. If the pastry cracks or splits, press them together.
- Prick the base with a fork to stop the pastry rising when cooking.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes at 180C/350F degrees until golden.
- Remove from the oven until the case is ready to be filled.
Make the filling
- Cook the asparagus spears by either air frying, grilling or steaming. Slice and chop (for a prettier quiche. We reserve spears for the topping, the others to be chopped with the filling)
- In a medium mixing bowl add the eggs and cream and beat until smooth. Add the seasoning to the egg mixture.
- Place the defrosted spinach, choppe spring onions, any chopped asparagus and Feta cheese into the low carb quiche crust case.
- Pour the egg mixture over the vegetables.
- Layer the asparagus spears on top.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes at 180C/350F degrees until the top of the quiche is golden and firm.
YOUR OWN NOTES