Making air fryer asparagus is an easy and delicious way to enjoy the tender green stalks. This keto recipe is full of flavour and makes a great side dish or snack.
We used nutritional yeast to keep this dish low carb vegan but give it a cheesy taste. You can flavour the asparagus with other seasonings of your choosing or keep it simple.
Is asparagus keto?
Asparagus is a great low carb vegetable. At just 1.8g net carbs per 100g serving it is also nutritious and delicious! High in fiber, low in calories, a great source of folate, potassium and vitamins A, C and K.
A versatile vegetable that makes a great side, filling in a quiche or omelette and is perfect in a salad.
How to pick ripe asparagus
Asparagus is best in the Spring and when selecting a bunch of asparagus ensure that it's bright green in colour and firm. The tips should be closed and compact. Any fresh asparagus bunches with limp stalks should be avoided.
There is no real difference between thin or thick stalks either. Just ensure that they are fresh.
How to make keto air fryer asparagus
Gather your ingredients for this air fryer asparagus recipe. You can cut the woody bottoms from the asparagus stalks or snap them at the point where they break.
Once the asparagus has been prepared and seasoned, it's placed in the air fryer basket. When air frying, it's always best to preheat it first.
Cook for about 7-9 minutes until tender and crispy.
If you want to use other flavours for your keto air fried asparagus, we have a few suggestions for you:
- Garlic & Grated Vegetarian Parmesan
- Dip the asparagus spears into a beaten egg, then dip into seasoned low carb flour. These make great low carb asparagus fries.
- Lemon and Rosemary
- Olive oil, sea salt & black pepper
- Sumac - This lemon tasting herb is perfect with asparagus.
If you need cooked asparagus for a recipe, air frying them is a great option. We have used this in quiches as the firm crunchy texture adds to the recipe.
More keto air fryer recipes
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Air Fryer Asparagus
- ½ lb asparagus spears
- 1 tablespoons avocado oil or olive oil
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoons lemon juice
- Pre-heat air fryer at 380°F for 5 minutes.
- Trim the asparagus spears.
- In a medium bowl, mix the oil, garlic powder, salt, nutritional yeast, lemon juice and zest.
- Add the asparagus spears to the bowl, and toss in the seasoned oil.
- Place the asparagus spears in the air fryer basket and cook at 190C/380F degrees for 7-9 minutes until crisp and tender.
- Serve warm.
YOUR OWN NOTES
Leave a Reply