This delicious keto cauliflower risotto has all the components of the classic caprese salad with tomatoes, mozzarella and basil. It makes a delicious keto vegetarian meal with the taste of summer in a dish.
Cauliflower rice is transformed into a keto risotto in this low carb twist on a Caprese salad. Ready in under 30 minutes, it's also a great gluten-free and grain-free recipe too.
The great thing about this Caprese risotto is how the Mozzarella cheese starts to slightly melt when it is stirred into the cooked cauliflower risotto. You end up with a few stringy forkfuls of risotto and cheese.
Carbs in risotto
Traditionally risotto is made with arborio rice which has 53 grams of net carbohydrates per cup (186g) serving. Cauliflower rice has just 3 grams of net carbohydrates for the same serving.
Not only is arborio rice high in carbs, a traditional risotto takes a much longer time to cook. Cauliflower rice is lower in carbs and quicker to make too, so it's a win win all round!
How to make cauliflower rice
Cauliflower rice is now available for sale ready made. We would recommend that you use fresh cauliflower rice for this dish as any frozen or packet cauliflower rice may end up with a soggy risotto.
Making your own cauliflower rice is very easy. Add cauliflower florets to a food processor and pulse until you have rice sized chunks. Alternatively, you can use a hand grater with a head of cauliflower.
All you need for this quick and easy keto vegetarian recipe is all the ingredients for a Caprese salad, cauliflower rice and vegetable stock!
We used tomato paste to give the cauliflower risotto a dash of colour and an extra tomato flavor. Check the ingredients of the tomato paste for any sugar before using.
We didn't use white wine which is often used in a risotto recipe (I was out of any for a change!) and it's entirely optional. If you want to add white wine, add it to the cauliflower rice before adding the stock. Between ¼ cup and a ½ cup will be fine.
How to make Caprese Keto Cauliflower Risotto
The beauty of a cauliflower rice risotto is that it is so much quicker to make than a traditional risotto. In under 30 minutes you have a delicious dish to devour!
- Gently saute the onion until soft.
- The garlic is next and is cooked for a couple of minutes
- Add the cauliflower rice and stir through to coat with the oil.
- Pour in the vegetable stock and add the tomato paste.
- Cook and ensure the tomato paste is stirred through for an even colour.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the Caprese salad ingredients.
How to store cauliflower rice risotto
Although this dish is best served freshly made it does store well and will last up to 2 days in the refrigerator. Keep it in a sealed container and reheat it in the microwave or back on the stove in a pan for a couple of minutes.
What to serve with Caprese cauliflower rice risotto
This keto risotto can be served as a main or even as a side dish. If you are enjoying it as a main, serve it with a side of our keto Italian breadsticks or a small green salad.
Try this cauliflower risotto as a side dish with a low carb vegetarian nut roast too. Try our mushroom and walnut nut loaf with it.
If you are looking for another low carb risotto without cauliflower rice, try our celeriac mushroom risotto recipe.
Be careful not to overcook the cauliflower rice as you will end up with a mush. Add half of the stock at a time to not drown the cauliflower.
This caprese risotto has 11g of protein per serving but if you want to increase the protein content for your macros, sprinkle some nutritional yeast or hemp hearts on top.
For an extra creamy Caprese risotto, stir in a couple of tablespoons of heavy cream before removing the pan from the heat.
More keto cauliflower risotto recipes
Vegan Lemon Basil Cauliflower Risotto
Cauliflower Mushroom Risotto Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Caprese Keto Cauliflower Risotto
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups cauliflower rice
- 1 ½ cups vegetable stock
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 2 teaspoon tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon basil leaves chopped
- 4 oz Fresh mozzarella torn into pieces
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese vegetarian brand, grated
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan or skilletover a medium heat.
- Add the onion and gently saute for about 5 minutes until tender.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 - 2 minutes.
- Add the cauliflower rice and stir well to coat it in the oil.
- Add the vegetable stock, tomato paste, salt and pepper and simmer on a gentle heat for about 10 minutes until tender.
- Remove the pan/skillet from the heat and stir in the torn mozzarella, cherry tomatoes, Parmesan and basil. Stir to mix.
- Stir immediately.
YOUR OWN NOTES
Leave a Reply