This low carb vegan chili with lupini beans is a hearty dish full of flavour. Low in carbs and high in protein this spicy chili is great for a cold evening.
Easy Lupini Beans Recipe
Traditional chili recipes have kidney beans but this keto vegetarian chili recipe uses lupini beans instead. Being a low carb vegetarian or vegan can be a challenge as most beans or legumes are too high in carbs.
Hemp seed hearts were added to this low carb vegan chili in place of any meat substitute. I enjoy using them and they have a great nutritional value. I also like how they looked in the chili without overpowering the taste of the spice. Cauliflower rice is also a good substitute.
How to make a low carb vegan chili
Chili recipes can vary with spices and vegetables so feel free to take this recipe as a base and add your own personal twist.
I used lupini beans from a jar for ease of use but you will need to remove their skins before cooking. I found that they did not take on the taste of a chili like a kidney bean would but still played their part in a keto chili.
Are lupini beans keto?
Lupini beans are a great low carb substitute for beans and legumes in keto vegetarian cooking. The carb content seems to vary by brands. I used a brand called Flora which listed the net carbs at 1g per cup. Another bonus for the keto vegan & vegetarian is the protein content of this bean.
Increase the chili powder and spices for your own taste.
Black soy beans can be substituted for the lupini beans
More keto lupini recipes
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Keto Vegan Chili with Lupini Beans
- 1 medium onion peeled & chopped
- 5 medium celery sticks chopped in slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic peeled & chopped
- 1 cup hemp hearts
- 2 cups lupini beans
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
Prepare the Lupini Beans
- Remove the beans from the jar and rinse thoroughly.
- Drain the beans and remove the skins. Pop them like peas!
Cook the chili
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan on a medium heat. Add the celery and onion and cook for 4 minutes.
- Add in the garlic, jalapeno, cinnamon, chili powder and cumin and stir for another 2 minutes.
- Add the bell peppers and lupini beans and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, chopped tomatoes and hemp hearts. Bring the chili to a boil, then cover and reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 20-25 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve with avocado and cilantro.
YOUR OWN NOTES
Leave a Reply