This spicy lupini beans fritters recipe are an easy keto vegetarian and vegan recipe that is also Paleo and gluten free. A great lunch with a dip or serve the fritter in a low carb burger bun.
Made with zucchini, hemp seeds and spices this easy lupini beans recipe has a great protein content. At only 3.4g net carbs per fritter, they have 12g protein making them a great choice to hit your protein targets.
What are lupini beans?
Lupini beans are a yellow legume seed of Lupinis and are often eaten in the Mediterranean as a snack. They have a creamy nutty flavour and can be purchased dry or in jars.
Are lupini beans keto?
Lupini beans are great for a keto vegetarian diet as they are low in carbs and packed with protein. In a 100g of lupini beans there are 111 calories, 12g protein, 13g carbs and 3g of fiber.
Lupini beans also make a great low carb flour too! The protein content is a good choice for the keto vegetarian and keto vegan.
I used lupini beans from a jar as it’s a lot easier than having to boil dried beans. The brand I used was Flora.
These fritters are baked but you could shallow fry them or cook them in the air fryer. I think the air fryer would work better than shallow frying as they will keep their shape better and have an extra crispy taste.
Use a spice blend to your own tastes. Up the chilli or try more dried herbs.
More keto vegan recipes
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Spicy Lupini Beans Fritters
- 10.6 oz lupini beans From a jar
- 1 cup zucchini cut into chunks
- 2 medium spring onions sliced
- 1 oz hempseed hearts
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
Lupini bean preparation
- Remove the beans from the jar and rinse well.
- Drain the beans and remove the skins. Pop them like peas!
Make the chili
- Place the beans in a food processor with the zucchini, onions, hemp seed and seasoning.
- Pulse until the mixture is combined.
- Using damp hands, divide the mixture into 6 balls and shape them into fritters.
- Place the fritters on a parchment paper lined baking tray.
- Bake them for 30 minutes at 180C/350F degrees for 30 minutes. Turn them over after 15 minutes.