This spicy lupini beans fritters recipe are an easy keto vegetarian and vegan recipe that is also Paleo and gluten free. A great lunch with a dip or serve the fritter in a low carb burger bun.
Made with zucchini, hemp seeds and spices this easy lupini beans recipe has a great protein content. At only 3.4g net carbs per fritter, they have 12g protein making them a great choice to hit your protein targets.
What are lupini beans?
Lupini beans are a yellow legume seed of Lupinis and are often eaten in the Mediterranean as a snack. They have a creamy nutty flavour and can be purchased dry or in jars.
Are lupini beans keto?
Lupini beans are great for a keto vegetarian diet as they are low in carbs and packed with protein. In a 100g of lupini beans there are 111 calories, 12g protein, 13g carbs and 3g of fiber.
Lupini beans also make a great low carb flour too! The protein content is a good choice for the keto vegetarian and keto vegan.
I used lupini beans from a jar as it’s a lot easier than having to boil dried beans. The brand I used was Flora.
These fritters are baked but you could shallow fry them or cook them in the air fryer. I think the air fryer would work better than shallow frying as they will keep their shape better and have an extra crispy taste.
Use a spice blend to your own tastes. Up the chilli or try more dried herbs.
More keto vegan recipes
Spicy Lupini Beans Fritters
- 10.6 oz lupini beans From a jar
- 1 cup zucchini cut into chunks
- 2 medium spring onions sliced
- 1 oz hempseed hearts
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
Lupini bean preparation
- Remove the beans from the jar and rinse. Place them in a saucepan and add enough hot water to submerge them. Let the beans sit for 3 hours.
- Drain the beans and remove the skins. Pop them like peas!
- Place the lupini in the saucepan, cover with fresh water and boil for 5 minutes. Drain.
Make the chili
- Place the beans in a food processor with the zucchini, onions, hemp seed and seasoning.
- Pulse until the mixture is combined.
- Using damp hands, divide the mixture into 6 balls and shape them into fritters.
- Place the fritters on a parchment paper lined baking tray.
- Bake them for 30 minutes at 180C/350F degrees for 30 minutes. Turn them over after 15 minutes.