This vegetarian stuffed pumpkin makes a great centerpiece for the holidays or a Sunday dinner. Colourful and full of flavour, it's low carb, vegetarian and gluten free.
This baked stuffed pumpkin is a delicious combination of sweet and savoury. It's a hearty feast for any occasion and looks great on the table.
What type of pumpkin to use
The large colourful carving pumpkins are not suitable for baking whole as they are too watery and thin with flesh. The best pumpkins for this recipe are pie pumpkin, kabocha, sugar pumpkins or Cinderella pumpkins.
The pumpkin for this recipe was about 4lbs. Adjust the quantity of the stuffing ingredients for larger or smaller pumpkins.
Dinner in a pumpkin
This pumpkin is stuffed with everything good! It's a vegetarian Thanksgiving or holiday meal in one vegetable. A roasted whole pumpkin is filled with vegetables, nuts and cheese.
How to make a baked vegetarian stuffed pumpkin
This is a simple vegetarian recipe to make and can be made ahead of baking.
To bake this stuffed pumpkin takes 2 hours so put it in the oven first if you are making a holiday meal.
- With a sharp knife removed the top of the pumpkin.
- Scoop out the seeds with a spoon.
- Peel and chop the shallots and garlic.
- Chop the nuts
- Grate the cheese
- Cook the shallots, mushrooms and garlic. Add to the other stuffing ingredients in a bowl.
- Spoon the mixture into the pumpkin shell.
- Replace the lid, ready to bake!
Can you make this vegan?
This keto stuffed pumpkin recipe can be easily made vegan by omitting the cheese. Add nutritional yeast for a cheesy taste. Cook the mixture in coconut oil instead of butter.
How to serve stuffed pumpkin
This beautiful pumpkin can be served by scooping the stuffing with the cooked pumpkin. We prefer to slice the pumpkin into slices. Enjoy them as a vegetarian main dish or serve as side dish.
Make this nut free by replacing the nuts with pumpkin or sunflower seeds.
Keep the sunflower seeds for other recipes.
Adapt this recipe and use small squash for a side vegetable dish.
More stuffed vegetable recipes
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Vegetarian Stuffed Pumpkin
- 4 lbs Pumpkin
- 1 cup spinach defrosted or cooked
- 4 oz mushrooms chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 shallots chopped
- 2 oz walnuts chopped
- 5 oz cheddar cheese grated
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- ½ tablespoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees.
- With a sharp knife remove the top of the pumpkin. Set aside.
- Scoop out the seeds and stringy flesh with a spoon.
- Season the inside of the pumpkin with salt and pepper.
- Place the pumpkin on a baking dish or tray.
- Heat the butter in a large pan on a medium heat.
- Cook the shallots and garlic for 2-3 minutes until soft.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for 10 minutes until cooked.
- Add the thyme, oregano and stir in the spinach.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and stir in the cheese and walnuts. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the mixture into the pumpkin shell and place the lid on top.
- Bake in the oven for 2 hours until tender.
- Allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving.
YOUR OWN NOTES