An easy keto vegetarian lasagna made with zucchini noodles and a three cheese filling make a delicious and hearty dish with an irrestible creamy textures.
This vegetarian zucchini lasagna with no noodles has a blend of three cheeses is so delicious it will become a family favourite. The cheese layer is a blend of ricotta, cream cheese and mozzarella. Add a low carb marinara sauce and every bite is a delicious blend of vegetable and cheese.
HOW TO AVOID SOGGY ZUCCHINI NOODLES
I grill the zucchini slices before making the lasagne to make sure that they are not watery. It is a personal preference, but I find when you are using vegetables as a pasta sheet replacement you get a firmer result if you grill them first. I do this with both zucchini and eggplant. It helps with the water content and having to salt them, wait and then use the vegetables.
HOW TO MAKE LOWCARB ZUCCHINI LASAGNA
A low carb zucchini lasagna is easy to assemble. Slice the zucchini, grill it, mix the cheese filling, layer the zucchini, cheese and low carb marinara.
ZUCCHINI LASAGNA TIPS
You could use a mix of other cheeses as a strong cheddar, gouda or vegetarian Parmesan.
For a very hearty dish, add cooked mushrooms or spinach as an additional layer.
This can be assembled ahead and kept in the fridge before baking.
OTHER ZUCCHINI RECIPES TO ENJOY
Vegetarian Zucchini Lasagna
- 4 zucchini
- 1 cup Marinara sauce low carb
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoon oregano dried
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup Mozzarella cheese grated
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F degrees.
- Slice the zucchini length ways. Don’t slice them too thin as they will reduce in size once cooked due to their water content. About ½ cm or more in width will be fine.
- Place the zucchini slices on a silver foil lined baking tray, lightly brush them with olive oil and place under a hot grill. Cook until golden and flip over, brush with oil and grill the other side.
- Remove, pat dry the slices with kitchen towel to remove any excess water or oil and sprinkle with the chopped garlic and oregano. Season with the salt and pepper.
- In a bowl, mix the cream cheese and ricotta in a bowl and season with the salt and pepper.
- In a baking dish assemble the lasagne by layering the zucchini, cheese mixture and Marinara sauce.
- Repeat the layers until the dish is full. Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese on top.
- Cover the dish with aluminium foil and bake for 30 – 40 minutes. Take the foil off for the last 10 minutes of cooking to ensure a crispy topping.
- Remove from the oven and let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
YOUR OWN NOTES