Enjoy low carb almond joy ice cream with the flavours of the famous candy bar. A spoonful of coconut, chocolate and almonds in every bite.
Just like cheesecake, ice cream is an easy dessert to make low carb. Swap the sugar for a low carb sweetener and you have dessert!
I'm normally the ice cream fan in out house, but found I had to compete with the husband for a bowl of this!
How to make Almond Joy Ice Cream
This ice cream recipe is made in an ice cream maker, but it can easily be made no churn. Check the recipe tips for more details.
The ice cream base is made from a egg custard. It's my favourite way of making ice cream as it delivers a creamy, non icy ice cream.
What you need to make this
- Cream - Heavy/whipping cream
- Coconut milk (tinned) - This can be substituted with almond milk. I use coconut milk at it is higher in fat and helps for a creamy ice cream.
- Egg yolks - Use the egg whites to make an egg white omelette.
- Low carb sweetener - my low carb sweetener for making ice cream is allulose as it does not crystalize when set.
- Vanilla & Coconut Extract
- Unsweetened desiccated coconut - I've used it plain, but toast it for extra texture and flavour.
- Almond slices (or chopped almonds)
- Sugar free chocolate chips - High cocoa solids chocolate bar could be chopped into pieces too.
Can you make this vegan?
If you want a low carb vegan ice cream, you could adapt this by using tinned coconut milk. Chill 2 tins of coconut milk in the fridge overnight. Remove the coconut cream from the top of the tin and whisk with the sweetener and flavourings.
Stir in the coconut, cocoa nibs and chopped almonds. Pour into a sealable container and freeze for about 5 hours.
For a no churn version of this ice cream, once the ice cream base mixture has been made, stir in the coconut, almonds and chocolate. Pour into a sealable container. Place in the freezer and take out every hour to stir the freezing crystals evenly.
For a deeper coconut flavour, lightly toast the desiccated coconut before adding to the ice cream.
If you don't have allulose, any other low carb sweetener such as monkfruit or erythritol can be used.
More low carb ice cream recipes to try
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Almond Joy Ice Cream
Make the Ice Cream
- Pour the cream and coconut milk in a saucepan on a medium heat. Do not let it boil but heat it for about 3-5 minutes.
- As the cream is heating, whisk the eggs, vanilla, coconut extract and allulose together.
- Remove the cream from the heat and allow to cool for a minute (you don't want a scrambled egg mixture). Gently pour into the egg mixture and whisk until combined.
- Pour this mixture back into the saucepan on a medium heat and whisk for 5 to 10 minutes until the mixture starts to thicken slightly.
- Remove from the heat.
- Allow to cool or place in the fridge for faster cooling.
- Pour into the canister of an ice-cream maker and churn according to manufacturer’s directions
Assemble & Freeze
- Once the ice cream has been churned and is a creamy smooth texture, fold in the coconut, almonds and chocolate chips.
- Spoon the ice cream in an airtight container and place in the freezer for at least an hour, preferably several hours.
- To serve, if the cream is too hard, allow to soften at room temperature for 5-15 minutes.
- Serve with coconut flakes, melted chocolate and whole almonds (optional)
YOUR OWN NOTES