Delicious breakfast tomatoes are stuffed with egg, cheese and herbs for an easy low carb breakfast.
Tomatoes and egg are a great flavour combination as well as looking bright and colourful. The addition of cheese and herbs makes this a great dish to start the day, or a welcome addition to brunch.
For another keto egg breakfast try our air fryer frittata recipe. Serve with a portion of cauliflower hash browns for a hearty vegetarian breakfast.
How to make breakfast tomatoes
This is a easy low carb breakfast to make. It's as simple as scooping out a tomato, filling it with cheese and an egg. Bake and you have yourself a great low carb vegetarian breakfast.
What you need
- Tomatoes - Use a large tomato. Varieties such as Beefsteak or Heirloom are a good choice. Ensure that the tomato is firm and bright in colour.
- Eggs - A medium egg will fit into a large tomato with the other fillings but if your tomatoes are more on the medium size, use a smaller egg.
- Cheese - I have used a mix of mozzarella and cheddar cheese, but any other vegetarian cheese could be used. There's a truffle Gouda that I'm currently partial to which tastes fantastic with the cooked tomato.
- Herbs - I've used herbs that go well with both eggs and cheese, but feel free to use your own mix. If you don't have fresh, dried herbs can be used.
For a very firm egg increase the baking time by another 5 to 10 minutes. Give the filling a poke with a toothpick to check if the egg has set firm.
I prefer white pepper with my eggs for the flavour, but black pepper could be used.
Spice up the recipe by adding red chili flakes or chopped jalapeno peppers to the filling.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
- 2 large tomatoes
- 2 medium eggs
- 1 oz mozzarella grated
- 2 oz cheddar cheese grated
- 1 tablespoon chives chopped
- 1 tablespoon parsley chopped
- 1 tablespoon basil chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F degrees.
- Cut the top off the tomato (like a lid) and set aside. Scoop out the seeds and tomato pulp with a spoon.
- Place the chopped basil in the bottom of the hollowed tomatoes.
- Add the mozzarella cheese.
- Carefully break the egg and pour into the tomato.
- Season with the salt and pepper, sprinkle with the parsley and chives.
- Scatter the cheddar cheese on top.
- Place the slice tomato lids in a baking dish. They will act like a stand for the stuffed tomato.
- Place the stuffed tomatoes on top of the sliced top and baked for 25 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.
YOUR OWN NOTES
Leave a Reply