An air fryer frittata makes a quick and easy, delicious and healthy breakfast, brunch or even light lunch. Start your day with a tasty protein meal with minimum fuss.
You can make a mouthwatering air fryer frittata in your air fryer in under 15 minutes. Enjoy a large frittata or mini muffin sized frittatas for a quick, tasty low carb and gluten-free breakfast.
If you enjoy an egg based breakfast you might like our breakfast tomatoes for something different. I've not tried these in the air fryer yet but think it might work and would cook them faster than the oven.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
What is a Frittata?
Frittatas originate from Italy and are like a cross between an omelet and a quiche. Some may call them a crustless quiche if you add cream to the egg mixture.
They’re so versatile, you can add any veggies, herbs or cheese you have on-hand. Made with beaten eggs and low carb vegetables they are also low in carbohydrates making a keto-friendly dish.
Breakfast Frittata Ingredients
Choose from a selection of low carb vegetables for your frittata:
- Green onion - or any onion finely chopped
- Bell Peppers - add great colour and texture
- Mushrooms - try different varieties of mushrooms for different flavors.
- Tomatoes - cherry are easy as they are smaller and can be halved
- Spinach or kale - use cooked or defrosted if using frozen
- Broccoli - finely chopped the florets
- Artichokes - tinned or from a jar
- Zucchini - finely chop. Might be better used precooked.
For the cheeses, make sure that they are vegetarian such as Cheddar, Mozzarella, Feta, Halloumi (fry it before use), cottage cheese, Goat cheese and Monterey Jack to name a few.
Add fresh herbs such as chopped parsley, basil, chives or cilantro.
Dried herbs work just as well to add flavor. We use a variety of Italian seasoning, basil, thyme and oregano.
How to Make Air Fryer Breakfast Frittata
The size of your frittata will depend upon the size of your air fryer. If your air fryer basket is large enough you can make a whole frittata in an 8 inch cake pan. Otherwise, muffin or tart cases make great mini frittatas and a personal serving size too.
In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs and seasoning
Place the muffin cups in the air fryer basket and add chopped vegetables and cheese.
Pour the beaten egg mixture over the vegetables.
Cook for about 10 minutes until firm
The great thing about using an air fryer to make a frittata is that is cuts back on any oil making them taste lighter and less greasy.
Air Fryer Frittata Recipe Tips
After cooking the frittatas, check the bottom to ensure that they are cooked through. If they are not completely set, pop them back in the air fryer for a couple of extra minutes.
If the tops of the frittata are browning too fast, cover them with silver foil.
We used silicone cases to make the mini frittatas which popped out perfectly. We didn't use any cooking spray but if you are nervous about using them, give them a light spray before filling.
If you are using a larger cake pan to make a frittata, line it with parchment paper so it does not stick to the bottom.
Storing and Reheating
If you are making these frittata ahead or have any leftovers, store them in the refrigerator in an air-tight container. They should last up to 3 days. You can enjoy them cold or reheat them in the air fryer for a couple of minutes. A microwave can be used to reheat them too.
Frittatas can be frozen and mini frittatas are perfect to freeze in small batches for lunchs or breakfast later. To freeze, ensure the the frittata is completely cooled. Store them in an air tight container or zip lock bag with a small square of parchment paper between them to prevent sticking.
They will last up to 3 months in the freezer and should be defrosted in the fridge before serving.
More Keto Air Fryer Recipes
Air Fryer Frittata
- 4 large eggs
- ¼ cup parsley chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 medium mushroom sliced
- ½ cup red bell pepper diced
- ½ cup Cheddar cheese grated
- ¼ cup Feta cheese crumbled or cubed
- ¼ cup Cooked or defrosted spinach
- 3 cherry tomatoes quartered
- Preheat the air fryer according to the manufacturers instructions.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add the eggs, salt pepper and chopped parsley. Whisk until light and fluffy.
- Place either a 20cm cake tin, or mini silicone muffin cases in the air fryer (depending on the size of your air fryer basket). Spoon a mixture of the fillings into the cases.
- Pour the beaten egg mixture into the cases.
- Cook at 180C/350F degrees for 10-12 minutes until golden and firm. If the tops are starting to brown to quick, cover the cases or tin with silver foil.
- Check the bottom of the frittatas to ensure that they are cooked through. Any runny bottoms need to be returned to the air fryer for a couple of extra minutes.
- Remove the frittatas from the cases/tin and serve.
YOUR OWN NOTES