These portobello mushroom pizzas are an easy and quick keto vegetarian recipe made in the air fryer. Using the mushroom caps as a pizza crust is a delicious use of these hearty mushrooms.
Enjoy making a pizza in the air fryer for a healthy option with portobello mushrooms. This recipe is perfect for a quick and easy meal that is low in carbs and high in protein. You can also customize it to your liking by adding your favorite pizza toppings.
If you enjoy our caprese mushrooms, this is another mushroom recipe you will love too. Serve as a main with a side salad or as a side dish.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
CARBS IN PORTOBELLO MUSHROOMS
Portobello mushrooms are a good source of several important nutrients, including fiber, protein, vitamins, and minerals. In terms of carbohydrates, a 100-gram serving of portobello mushrooms contains approximately 3.3 grams of total carbohydrates, of which 1.1 grams are fiber, and 1.2 grams are sugars.
Portobello mushrooms are a low-carb food option and are often used as a meat substitute by vegetarians.
HOW TO CHOOSE PORTOBELLO MUSHROOMS
When choosing portobello mushrooms, look for ones that are firm, smooth, and dry to the touch. The caps should be dark brown and free from any discoloration or spots. Avoid mushrooms that have a slimy texture, are bruised or damaged, or have a strong odor, as these may be signs of spoilage.
It's also important to select mushrooms that are the right size for your recipe. Smaller portobello mushrooms are more tender and flavorful, while larger ones may be tougher and less flavorful. Consider the size and thickness of the mushroom cap when selecting your mushrooms, as this can affect cooking time and texture.
When storing portobello mushrooms, keep them in a paper bag or wrapped in a damp paper towel in the refrigerator. They should be used within a few days of purchase for the best flavor and texture.
All you need is a few fresh ingredients for this air fryer pizza recipe.
- Portobello mushrooms - Firm and fresh mushrooms.
- Marinara sauce - homemade pizza sauce is always best but if you purchase one from the store, check the ingredients for added sugar.
- Mozzarella - Shredded or freshly sliced cheese.
- Olive oil - to oil the mushroom caps
- Toppings - for this recipe we used black olives and cherry tomatoes.
- Dried Oregano - Italian seasoning could be substituted.
HOW TO MAKE PORTOBELLO MUSHROOM PIZZA
We cooked these mushroom pizzas in the air fryer but you can bake them in the oven too.
With a spoon, remove the gills from the mushrooms
Spoon the marinara sauce on the mushroom caps
Add toppings and cheese, then cook
Eat and enjoy!
This portobello pizza is a recipe best enjoyed fresh. If you do have any leftovers, store them in the fridge in an airtight container. Reheat them in the air fryer the next day.
Removing the gills from the portobello mushroom caps can help reduce the moisture content of the mushrooms, which can make them cook more evenly and prevent sogginess. It can also remove any earthy taste they may have.
MORE KETO VEGETARIAN AIR FRYER RECIPES
Make the most of your air fryer with these other keto recipes:
Portobello Mushroom Pizza
- 2 large portobello mushroom caps
- ¼ cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons marinara sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 2 olives, sliced
- 2 cherry tomatoes
- Preheat the air fryer according to the manufacturers instructions and lightly spray the basket with cooking oil.
- Clean the mushrooms, remove the stalks and with a teaspoon remove the mushroom gills.
- Brush the bottom of the caps with olive oil.
- Place the mushroom caps in the air fryer and sprinkle the oregano on the insides.
- Spoon the marinara sauce into the mushrooms, add the mozzarella cheese and the toppings.
- Cook for 5 to 7 minutes at 175C/350F degrees until the cheese has melted.
- Serve immediately and top with fresh basil (optional).
YOUR OWN NOTES
Leave a Reply