Easy baked cauliflower falafel is a low carb and paleo version of the classic Middle Eastern dish. A great light lunch served with keto flatbread, dips and a side salad.
Traditionally, falafel is made with chickpeas. For this keto falafel recipe, I have used cauliflower instead. To keep it healthier too, I have baked the falafel rather then frying them. I did try frying them, but I preferred the baked batch.
Is falafel keto?
As chickpeas have a net carb of 6g per teaspoon, they are not suitable for a low carb diet making a traditional falafel not keto friendly either. Falafels made with cauliflower are lower in carbs with these ones being just 2.5g net carbs each.
How to make keto falafel
Making cauliflower falafels is as easy as placing cooked cauliflower rice with seasoning and spices in a food processor and blitzing. You could make the mixture by hand in a bowl for a crunchier texture.
For a vegan keto falafel try our lupini bean falafel recipe. It's made in the air fryer for a crispy coating.
How to serve paleo cauliflower falafel
The falafels can be served in a low carb flat bread or as part of a low carb meze with salads and dips. Which every way you serve the cauliflower falafel, a side of tahini sauce is a must!
I make a quick and easy tahini sauce to serve with the cauliflower falafel. It’s as simple as mixing these ingredients and drizzling the sauce over the falafel. You can mix the ingredients in a bowl by hand or quickly whizz them in a food processor.
- ½ cup Tahini
- ¼ cup Water
- 1 teaspoon Garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 2 tablespoons Lemon juice (maybe more to taste)
Cooking Tips & Suggestions
To make this keto vegan, omit the egg.
Almond flour binds the mixture but could be replaced with coconut flour or oat fibre. Flaxseed might be too powerful in flavour.
For an extra crunchy coating, roll the falafel in hemp seed hearts before baking.
Recipes to serve with cauliflower falafel
- ½ head cauliflower made into cauliflower rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 spring onions chopped
- ½ cup cilantro, fresh
- 3 cloves garlic peeled & chopped
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander, ground
- ½ cup almond flour
- 1 medium egg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan on a medium heat and gently saute the cauliflower rice for 5-8 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees.
- Place the cauliflower, green onions, fresh coriander, garlic, cumin, ground coriander, egg, salt, pepper and almond flour in a food processor. Pulse for 15-20 seconds for the mixture comes together. If it is too sticky, add more almond flour.
- Shape the mixture into small patties and place on a parchment paper lined oven tray.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, turning over half-way through until golden and firm.
- Serve with flatbread, salad and tahini sauce.
YOUR OWN NOTES