This keto pita bread recipe is egg free, low carb and gluten free. Use it with dips or split it open and fill it for a sandwich.
Oat fiber and coconut flour are used to make this low carb bread. The oat fiber adds extra fiber and has such a similar texture to flour that it makes a great low carb ingredient.
How to make low carb pita bread
Made with just a handful of keto pantry ingredients, this keto pita bread puffs up during baking. This is due to the Greek yoghurt used. The Greek yoghurt contains live cultures that help act as a yeast when baking a keto bread.
Ingredients for this recipe:
- Coconut flour
- Oat fiber - I only use the white Lifesource Oat Fiber.
- Golden flaxseed meal - This gives the bread a slightly wholemeal texture and a dash of colour. You could leave it out if you wish.
- Pysllium husk powder - Some brands may give the bread a purple colour. The taste is the same but the colour can be fun!
- Baking powder - Aluminum free is preferred.
- Greek Yogurt - Unflavoured natural Greek yogurt with probiotics.
- Olive oil - Coconut oil could be use instead.
- Xanthan Gum - This is a binding agent in place of gluten.
Although the bread will puff up during baking, it may deflate as it cools down. If you want to use the pita bread sliced, it's best to do that whilst is it still warm.
Allowing the bread to cool in the oven helps the bread cook all the way through without becoming too crispy. The xantan gum can give a slight "gummy" texture to the centre of the bread when cooking and cooling the bread down removes some of this.
More keto bread recipes
Keto Pita Bread
- 35 g coconut flour
- 35 g oat fiber
- 2 tablespoons psyllium husk powder
- 2 tablespoons golden flaxseed meal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt natural and probiotic
- 1 cup hot water
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees
- In a medium bowl, add the coconut flour, oat fiber, psyllium husk powder, xanthan gum and salt. Mix with a whisk.
- Add the olive oil and Greek Yogurt and mix until combined.
- Add the water and mix until you have a dough.
- Allow the dough to sit for 5 minutes to allow it to firm up.
- Cut the dough into 4 even pieces.
- Make each piece into a small ball.
- Roll the balls of dough in between two pieces of parchment paper. Roll out to a circle shape or a longer “pita” bread shape with a thickness of about 5mm.
- Place the bread circles onto a parchment paper lined baking tray.
- Bake for 30 minutes, turning the bread over half-way through baking for an even golden colour.
- Remove the pita breads from the tray and allow to cool in the oven on the bars.