This keto pita bread recipe is egg free, low carb and gluten free. Use it with dips or split it open and fill it for a sandwich. When cooking, this pita bread puffs up, just like the real thing too!
Oat fiber and coconut flour are used to make this low carb flat bread. The oat fiber adds extra fiber and has such a similar texture to flour that it makes a great low carb ingredient. It does not leave an aftertaste either.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
DOES PITA BREAD HAVE CARBS?
Traditional pita bread is made with white flour or whole wheat flour which is high in carbs and not suitable for a low carb diet. A large pita bread can have 30g net carbohydrates.
This low carb pita bread recipe has just over 3 grams of net carbs per serving and is great for a keto diet.
KETO PITA BREAD INGREDIENTS
The ingredients for this keto flatbread recipe are high in fiber. Just like a traditional pita bread recipe, this is egg-free.
- Coconut flour
- Oat fiber - I only use the white Lifesource Oat Fiber.
- Golden flaxseed meal - This gives the bread a slightly wholemeal texture and a dash of colour. You could leave it out if you wish.
- Psyllium husk powder - Some brands may give the bread a purple color. The taste is the same but the color can be fun!
- Baking powder - Aluminum free is preferred.
- Greek Yogurt - natural Greek yogurt with probiotics.
- Olive oil - Coconut oil could be use instead.
- Xanthan Gum - This is a binding agent in place of gluten.
- Warm water
HOW TO MAKE LOW CARB PITA BREAD
Made with just a handful of keto pantry ingredients, this keto pita bread puffs up during baking. This is due to the Greek yoghurt as it contains live cultures that help act as a yeast when baking a keto bread.
Mix all the ingredients
Form a dough
Cut the dough into 4
Form into pita shaped ovals and bake
We have not tried making this with any other flour such as almond flour. In theory, the coconut flour could be substituted with almond flour and the oat fiber swapped with a protein powder or omitted.
The psyllium husk powder is essential for the texture and elasticity of the dough and replaces wheat gluten.
Keep these pita breads in an air tight container in the refrigerator. They should last up to 4-5 days.
They can be frozen easily. Just place them in a zip locked bag with parchment paper in between them to prevent sticking. They will last in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Although the bread will puff up during baking, it may deflate as it cools down. If you want to use the pita bread sliced, it's best to do that whilst is it still warm.
Allowing the bread to cool in the oven helps the bread cook all the way through without becoming too crispy. The xantan gum can give a slight "gummy" texture to the centre of the bread when cooking and cooling the bread down removes some of this.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH KETO PITA BREAD
- Split the pita bread open and fill with avocado, cheese or salad for your favorite sandwich.
- Use in place of a low carb burger bun with your vegetarian burgers.
- Enjoy as a flat bread with dips such as our sun dried tomato dip or keto guacamole.
MORE KETO BREAD RECIPES
If you are missing bread on a low carb diet, we have some great low carb bread recipes for you to try.
Keto Pita Bread
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees
- In a medium mixing bowl, add the coconut flour, oat fiber, psyllium husk powder, xanthan gum and salt. Mix with a whisk.
- Add the olive oil and Greek Yogurt and stir until combined.
- Add the warm water gradually (you may not need all of it) and mix until you have a dough.
- Allow the dough to sit for 5 minutes to allow it to firm up and the fibre ingredients to work their magic.
- Cut the dough into 4 even pieces.
- Shape each piece into a small ball.
- Roll the balls of dough in between two pieces of parchment paper. Roll out to a circle shape or a longer “pita” bread shape with a thickness of about 5mm.
- Place the bread circles onto a parchment paper lined baking tray.
- Bake for 30 minutes, turning the bread over half-way through baking for an even golden colour.
- Remove the pita breads from the tray and allow to cool in the oven on the bars.
YOUR OWN NOTES