Hearty, meaty keto stuffed portobello mushrooms are topped with fresh mozzarella, tomatoes and basil, then baked until melty, oozy and delicious. A cute, fun and tasty low carb and gluten free vegetarian twist on a classic caprese salad
Perfect as a side dish, appetizer, or vegetarian main dish, this has an Italian "caprese" salad inspired filling. It's also a simple version of a keto portobella mushroom pizza.
Another Mediterranean inspired keto stuffed mushroom recipe is our Spinach and Feta stuffed portobello mushroom that makes a great summer lunch.
ARE PORTOBELLO MUSHROOMS KETO FRIENDLY?
Not all mushrooms are equal in carbohydrates but portobello mushrooms have just 4g net carbs per 100g serving which can be the size of a very large portobello mushroom.
Portobello mushrooms make a great meat substitute for vegetarians too as they are a hearty textured mushroom.
KETO STUFFED PORTOBELLO MUSHROOMS INGREDIENTS
If you have the ingredients for a caprese salad to hand, all you need to complete this recipe are the portobello mushrooms.
- Portobello Mushrooms - Ensure that they are fresh and not "slimy". Clean the mushroom caps with a damp paper towel to remove any dirt before use.
- Cherry tomatoes - the ripest and flavorsome you can find.
- Mozzarella - Fresh mozzarella cheese rather than shredded mozzarella.
- Olive oil - Avocado oil can be used too.
- Salt & Pepper - to season
- Balsamic Vinegar - Optional to serve.
This is an easy recipe to make and is ready under 15 minutes making this a great keto vegetarian lunch or dinner with minimum fuss.
Scoop out the mushroom gills with a small spoon.
Brush the mushroom caps with the garlic oil.
Layer the tomatoes, mozzarella and basil
Bake for 10-12 minutes at 200C/400F degrees.
To serve, drizzling balsamic vinegar over the baked stuffed mushrooms is optional but recommended for the extra flavour.
DO PORTOBELLO MUSHROOM GILLS NEED TO BE REMOVED?
The gills of a portobello mushroom have a rich distinctive taste which can overpower a dish and would do so with the delicate Caprese flavours. When stuffing a portobello, it's usually best to remove the gills. This can be down with a small spoon but do this gently as you don't want to break the mushroom.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH STUFFED PORTOBELLO MUSHROOMS
MORE KETO VEGETARIAN MUSHROOM RECIPES
Mushrooms are a popular vegetarian ingredient and we have many more keto mushroom recipes you may enjoy.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Caprese Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
- 2 portobello mushrooms
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 cherry tomatoes halved
- 4 oz Mozzarella, fresh
- 1 tablespoon basil, fresh chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar optional
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F degrees.
- Remove the dark gills from the underside of the mushroom caps by scraping them off using the edge of a teaspoon.
- In a small bowl, mix the garlic with the olive oil.
- Brush the garlic oil all over the mushrooms.
- Place the mushrooms on a baking sheet or in a baking dish.
- Layer the mozzarella, tomatoes and basil into the mushroom caps and season with the salt and pepper.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until the mushrooms are cooked and the cheese has melted.
- Serve immediately.
YOUR OWN NOTES