These tasty keto portobello mushroom fries are a great appetizer or side dish. Coated with almond flour they are also gluten free and Paleo too.
These air fried portobello mushrooms have a crispy coating with soft mushroom inside. Delicious served with a dip and a quick and easy recipe which only takes 10 minutes in the air fryer.
Portobello mushrooms make great fries when sliced as they have a hearty, fleshy texture. I found these air fryer mushrooms utterly delicious and enjoyed the slight crunch of the almond flour coating.
Are mushrooms keto?
Portobello mushrooms are a great keto vegetarian ingredient with a 100 gram serving having just 4g net carbohydrates. Different types of mushrooms do vary slightly for their carbohydrate content but they are still all low carb.
Mushrooms are also low in calories, high in fiber and contain B vitamins and minerals.
Cleaning portobello mushrooms
Mushrooms are a vegetable that need to be cleaned as even the prewashed ones will have a trace of dirt on them.
Although some people will wash their mushrooms under cold water, this can remove nutrients and should only be used if your mushrooms are utterly covered in dirt. If you do this, dry them thoroughly as a soggy mushroom does not cook as well.
Using a damp cloth or kitchen towel and gently clean the mushrooms without bruising them.
How to cut a portobello mushroom
Remove the stems with a pairing knife and then remove the dark gills from the underside of the mushroom caps by scraping them off using the edge of a teaspoon.
Place the mushroom cap upside on a chopping board. Using a sharp knife, cut the mushroom in half. Then those halves are cut into even strips
Mushroom Fries Ingredients
Just 3 ingredients and seasonings are use to make this easy low carb vegetarian recipe.
How to make keto air fryer portobello mushroom fries
We made these mushroom fries in the air fryer but they can be baked in the oven too. Instructions for baking are in the recipe card.
The easy step by step instructions are below.
- Prepare your dipping station with the beaten egg in one shallow bowl, and the seasoned almond flour in another shallow bowl.
- After washing and slicing the portobello mushrooms, tip into the beaten egg. Use tongs as your fingers will get sticky and messy if you use your hands.
- Dip into the seasoned almond flour and cover thoroughly.
- Once all the slices are covered, pre-heat the air fryer (baking in the oven instructions are in the recipe card below).
- Place the mushroom slices in the air fryer basket and cook for 10 minutes.
- Serve with a dip.
Can you make these mushroom fries vegan?
If you want low carb vegan mushroom fries you will need to omit the egg. The slices of mushrooms will need moisture for the coating to stick so try almond milk or even coconut milk in place of the egg.
For the coating, add nutritional yeast for an extra cheesy flavour.
What to serve with mushroom fries
However delicious these easy low carb mushroom fries are by themselves, they are great with a dip. Just as all fries are! Try them with homemade mayonnaise or a ranch dressing. They go with any low carb sauces!
Add a grated vegetarian parmesan cheese to the almond flour coating or nutritional yeast. The seasonings can be changed. We made a batch flavored with cayenne pepper was were fantastic.
Removing the gills is entirely optional are they are edible. They give a richer, earthy flavor which some people don't like. We've tried the fries with and without and enjoyed both batches.
Turn these portobello mushroom fries into loaded fries by adding grated Cheddar or Mozzarella cheese on top once they are cooked. Then cook for a further 3-5 minutes until the cheese has melted. Serve with chopped onion and sour cream.
More keto mushroom recipes
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Keto Portobello Mushroom Fries
- 2 portobello mushrooms
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 1 cup almond flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon onion powder optional
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder optional
- Prepare the portobello mushrooms by cleaning them, remove the stems and dark gills from the underside of the mushroom. Slice into strips.
- Place the beaten eggs in a shallow bowl, and the almond flour and seasonings in another bowl. Mix the dry ingredients together.
- Using tongs (it's too messy with your hands), dip a mushroom slice into the egg and cover.
- Next, dip the mushroom slice into the seasoned almond flour and ensure you cover the slice thoroughly.
- Place aside and repeat for all slices.
To Air Fry
- Preheat the air fryer according to the manufacturers instructions.
- Lightly spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray, then place the slices in a single layer into the basket. You may need to make these in batches, depending upon the size of the mushroom.
- Cook at 200C/400F degrees for 7-10 minutes until golden.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C/400F degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the mushroom slices on the baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes until golden and crispy.
YOUR OWN NOTES