If you’re looking to make a different appetizer or side dish to spice up a dinner party, celeriac remoulade is a great choice.
Celeriac Remoulade is a modern twist on the traditional cole slaw recipe. This creamy, sweet and tangy slaw is the perfect accompaniment to egg, cheese or nuts.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
WHAT IS CELERIAC?
Celeriac, also known as celery root, is a variety of celery grown for its large, bulbous root rather than its stalks. It is a hardy, root vegetable that has a knobby, irregular shape and a pale brown, rough exterior. Inside, the flesh is white, crisp and has a delicate, celery-like flavor. Celeriac can be eaten raw or cooked and is often used in soups, stews, and purees. It can also be grated or finely sliced and served in salads or as a garnish.
IS CELERIAC KETO FRIENDLY
Celeriac is a low-carb vegetable and can be considered keto-friendly. 100 grams of celeriac contains 3.6 grams of total carbohydrates, 2.1 grams of which are fiber, so it has a net carbs of 1.5 grams.
Celeriac is also a good source of vitamin K, potassium and vitamin C. It can be enjoyed in a variety of ways such as in soups, stews, roasted, mashed and can be a good substitute for potatoes.
WHAT IS REMOULADE?
Celeriac remoulade is a French dish made with grated or sliced celeriac mixed with a dressing made from mayonnaise, mustard, and other ingredients such as shallots, capers, and herbs. It is typically served as a cold salad or side dish.
This recipe can be made vegan by using a vegan mayonnaise or sour cream.
The lemon can be replaced with apple cider vinegar.
HOW TO MAKE CELERIAC REMOULADE
Make this celeriac salad a few hours before serving so the flavors develop. Some celeriac remoulde recipes include capers and finely chopped shallots but we have not used them in this recipe. Feel free to add them.
Slice the celeriac into small strips
Mix the dressing
Mix the celeriac strips with the dressing and chill.
Serve and enjoy!
Keep the celeriac coleslaw in the fridge in a sealed container and it should last for 3 to 4 days.
This classic celeriac French salad can be made with a few variations:
- Use different mustards. We prefer whole grain Dijon but other mustards or flavored mustard will work.
- Add some chopped fresh herbs, such as tarragon, chives, or dill, for extra flavor.
- Mix in some chopped nuts, such as almonds or hazelnuts, for added texture.
- Add some chopped pickles or cornichons for a tangy, pickle-like flavor.
- Add some chopped hard-boiled eggs for extra protein and a creamy texture.
MORE LOW CARB SALAD RECIPES
Serve this tasty celeriac salad as a side dish with other low carb vegetarian salads:
- 1 large celeriac
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Peel the celeriac and with a sharp knife cut it into thin slices or grate it. Or use a mandolin to make thin strips.
- Place the celeriac strips in a large bowl with the lemon juice and toss. This helps prevent browning.
- In a small bowl add the dressing ingredients and mix.
- Add the dressing to the celeriac and toss to coat evenly.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Serve the remoulade as a cold salad or side dish, and garnish with additional chopped parsley if desired.
YOUR OWN NOTES