Pan fried cauliflower steaks are served with a lemon butter caper sauce as a low carb vegetarian version of the classic piccata dish. This can be served as a main dish with a side salad or a side dish with a hearty nut roast.
How to make cauliflower piccata
The head of cauliflower you use to make this recipe must be firm and fresh. Two large cauliflower slices about 1 inch are cut with the stems untrimmed to keep together.
Any spare florets could be used for smaller cauliflower steaks to be added to the pan, or use them in my cauliflower pizza bites recipe.
For the coating I used oat fiber as it gives a texture almost like flour. Almond flour can be used instead.
Make this keto vegan
This cauliflower steak recipe can easily be made vegan. Replace the butter with avocado oil, coconut oil or a vegan butter.
Recipe Tips & Suggestions
Roast the cauliflower steaks first for an extra flavour to the dish.
Once the sauce has been made, add additional vegetables to the dish, such as artichokes or olives for a hearty main dish.
More low carb cauliflower recipes
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
- ⅓ head cauliflower A whole head is needed to slice the steaks
- ½ cup oat fiber or almond flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 shallots chopped
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- ¼ cup white wine optional
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 2 tablespoons parsley chopped
- Slice the cauliflower head into 1- inch steaks with the stem holding them together. You should be able to cut about 2 steaks slices. Set aside the remaining cauliflower florets for another cauliflower recipe.
- Place the cauliflower steaks in a large saucepan with water and boil for 3-5 minutes until slightly soft. Drain and set aside.
- In a large shallow bowl, mix the oat fiber (or almond flour) with the oregano, salt and pepper.
- Dip the cauliflower into the dry mixture, coating each sides.
- In a medium skillet or frying pan, heat the butter.
- Cook the cauliflower steaks until golden on both sides for about 3-5 minutes. Set aside the cauliflower slices.
- Add the garlic and shallots to the skillet and cook for 2 minutes until soft.
- Add the stock, wine, lemon juice and rind. Simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until the sauce slightly thickens.
- Add the capers to the sauce, then return the cauliflower steaks to the pan. Spoon the sauce over them and heat for a couple of minutes.
- Serve with a sprinkling of chopped parsley.