A keto eggplant rollatini recipe that makes a hearty keto vegetarian dish. An Italian-style dish with thin slices of eggplant filled with spinach and ricotta, then baked with marinara sauce and mozzarella. Filling and satisfying.
What is eggplant rollatini?
Eggplant rollatini is eggplant Parmesan taken to another level! Eggplant slices are dipped in eggs, then a coating which I’ve made keto by using almond flour and vegetarian Parmesan cheese. Cooked then rolled up with a cheesy spinach mixture they are baked. Slathered with a marinara sauce and more cheese it’s a delicious dish.
How to make keto eggplant rollatini
There's a few steps to make this eggplant recipe but it's worth every step!
Recipe Tips & Suggestions
This can be made ahead by preparing the eggplant rolls and keeping them in the fridge until you are ready to assemble the dish (don't keep them in the marinara sauce as they will get soggy).
To freeze this dish, store in a sealed container and freeze. Allow to thoroughly defrost before baking.
The eggplant slices can be cooked without the almond flour and parmesan coating if you wanted to keep the dish nut free. Or simply used parmesan.
If you don't have ricotta cheese, this can be substituted with cottage cheese, paneer or queso fresco.
More Low Carb Vegetarian Main Meals
Watch the video
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Keto Eggplant Rollatini
- 2 medium eggplants
- 3 tablespoons salt
- ½ cup almond flour
- ½ cup parmesan, shredded vegetarian
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil dried
- 2 medium eggs beaten
- 1 cup spinach defrosted
- ½ cup ricotta
- ¼ cup mozzarella shredded
- ¼ cup parmesan, shredded vegetarian
- 1 medium egg
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon basil fresh & chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- ¾ cup mozzarella shredded
Prepare the Eggplants
- Slice the ends off the eggplants, then cut lengthways in ¼ inch slices.
- Place them in a colander or on a plate and sprinkle salt over them to remove any bitterness. Let them sit for 30 minutes.
- Rinse and dry the eggplants and set aside.
- Place the beaten eggs in one shallow dish.
- In another shallow dish, mix the almond flour, parmesan, oregano and basil.
- Dip the eggplant slices into the egg, then dip into the dry ingredients ensuring that there are coated well.
Cook the Eggplant Slices
- The eggplant slices can be shallowed fried, baked or air fried.
- Air fryer – Lightly spray the air fryer basked with oil and place the eggplants in a single layer in the basket. Gently spray the slices with oil. Cook for 5-7 minutes at 200C/400F degrees. Cook in batches.
- Shallow Fried – Heat 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil in a large frying pan on a medium heat and cook for 3-5 minutes each side until golden.
- Bake – Place the eggplant slices on a baking tray and bake for 10 minutes at 200C/400F degrees.
Make the Filling
- In a medium bowl, mix the spinach, ricotta, mozzarella, parmesan, basil, egg, garlic, salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F degrees
- Spread the filling mixture over the eggplant slices and roll up.
- Spoon ¼ cup of the marinara sauce over the base of a large baking dish.
- Place the rolled up eggplants on the sauce.
- Spoon the remaining marinara sauce over the eggplant and sprinkle with the mozzarella.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Serve with torn fresh basil .