Keto Halloween Cupcakes are a fun low carb way to enjoy Halloween. Chocolate coconut flour cupcakes are decorated with a pumpkin cream cheese frosting with a Jack O Lantern face.
Enjoy a keto Halloween and fight the candy temptation with these sweet, sugar free cupcakes. A delicious flavour combination of chocolate and pumpkin.
How to make Jack O Lantern Cupcakes
Baked with coconut flour and flavoured with cocoa, these moist cupcakes are easy to bake.
For the frosting, pumpkin puree is mixed with cream cheese and slathered on the cupcake tops.
The Jack O Lantern face is piped in by adding black food colouring to a small amount of frosting.
- Coconut flour
- Cocoa powder - Unsweetened
- Butter - Softened at room temperature
- Sweetener - We used monkfruit but any other low carb sweetener can be used.
- Eggs - Room temperature eggs
- Almond milk - Coconut milk could also be used. Coconut flour needs a lot of moisture in addition to the eggs. Coconut flour brands vary too, so you may need to add an extra dash of almond milk to the cupcake batter.
- Baking powder & salt
- Pumpkin puree - For the frosting. Canned puree is favourable as it is spiced. Just check the label for any sneaky sugars.
- Cream Cheese - For a cheesecake like frosting.
- Black food colouring - For the Faces
Can almond flour be used?
If coconut flour is not for you, these cupcakes can be made with almond flour. Adapt our raspberry chocolate chip muffin recipe with cocoa powder.
Storing keto halloween cupcakes
Keep the cupcakes in a sealed container in the fridge. They should last up to 3 days.
These Halloween cupcakes freeze well and will last up to 3 months. Place the in airtight ziplock bags for freezing.
If you are to serve these Halloween cupcakes later, pipe the Jack O Lantern faces at the last minute so that the black icing doesn't run too much.
Sugar free chocolate chips could be added to the batter for a delicious extra treat.
The cupcakes can be piped with black spiders or webs instead of the faces.
More keto Halloween treats
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Keto Halloween Cupcakes
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin puree
- 1 tablespoon monkfruit or other low carb sweetener
Jack O Lantern Face
- 2 drops black food colouring
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin frosting
Make the Cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 180C/375F degrees.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the butter and monkfruit until smooth and creamy.
- Add the eggs one at a time whilst still whisking.
- Add the coconut flour, cocoa powder, almond milk, baking powder and salt and whisk until smooth.
- If the batter is too stiff, add more almond milk or water.
- Linea muffin tin with 9 cupcake liners
- Spoon the cupcake mixture into the cupcake liners evenly.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until firm.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
Make the Frosting
- Place the frosting ingredients in a bowl and mix until smooth.
- If the colour of the frosting is not orange enough for you, add more pumpkin puree until you have the desired colour.
Make the Black Frosting
- Add a couple of tablespoons of the pumpkin frosting to a small bowl.
- Stir in a drop or two of black food colouring and mix until even.
- Spoon the mixture in a piping bag.
- Spread the pumpkin frosting over the cupcakes.
- Pipe the Jack O Lantern faces with the black frosting.
- Treat or treat!
YOUR OWN NOTES