These low carb everything bagels are made with an oat fibre Fathead dough for a great low carb vegetarian breakfast. The sprinkle of Everything Bagel Seasoning gives the bagels a great savoury taste with a slight crunch.
Fathead dough is a great low carb dough for pastries, pizza and bagels. Almond flour and coconut flour are normally used with Fathead dough, but for this keto bagel recipe I went for oat fiber. The result was a hearty bagel recipe that is very similar to the real thing.
What is oat fiber?
Don’t be alarmed at the word oat, thinking it is laden with gluten and carbs. It’s not oat bran, oat flour, rolled oats or instant oats. Oat fiber is the fiber made from grinding the oat shell and is made purely from the husk. It’s an insoluble fiber and a great substitute for wheat for low carb baking.
I have found that oat fiber brands can vary in colour ranging from golden to white. I prefer the white brand by Lifesource for a great bake with a great taste. I purchase mine from Amazon.
Is oat fiber keto?
Due to its high fiber content oat fiber is a great keto flour. It’s a non-digestive fiber that is highly absorbent and can absorb up to seven times its weight in water. It’s a great low carb flour for breads, pastries, muffins and bagels.
How many carbs in a bagel
These keto vegetarian bagels are only 3.6g net carbs each. You may be surprised to learn that a regular wheat, sugar laden bagel can be 44g net carbs. That’s 2 days net carb allowance in a bagel!
How to make keto everything bagels
I use a donut tray to bake these bagels as it helps keep their shape when using the Fathead dough. You could bake these without a tray and fashion the shape free-hand, but they won’t look as neat.
Fathead dough is baked with a heavy sprinkling of Everything Bagel Seasoning. You can purchase this ready made or make your own.
Everything Bagel Seasoning is a mixture of:
- poppy seeds
- sesame seeds
- dried minced onions
- coarse sea salt
- dried garlic flakes
Other low carb bagel recipes
Low Carb Everything Bagels
- Donut Tin Pan
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella, shredded
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 1/2 cup oat fiber
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 medium egg
- 2 tablespoons everything seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F
- In a bowl add the mozzarella and cream cheese.
- Cook the mozzarella in the microwave for 2 minutes
- Remove and stir until the melted cheese is combined
- Add the egg, baking powder and oat fiber and work the mixture thoroughly until you have a dough. If it’s too sticky, add more oat fiber.
- Break the dough up into 6 pieces and roll out to a log.
- Lightly spray a donut pan with oil and sprinkle the “Everything but the bagel” seasoning in the donut moulds.
- Place the dough into the pan, pressing the ends together to make a bagel shape.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until they are golden.
- Eat immediately