Paneer jalfrezi is a delicious vegetarian dish that combines the creamy texture of paneer with a mix of sautéed vegetables and a blend of aromatic spices.
This dish is perfect for a vegetarian main course or as a side dish to complement other Indian dishes. With its flavorful blend of spices and textures, paneer jalfrezi is sure to be a crowd-pleaser at any dinner table.
I loved how quick this recipe was to make and full of flavor too. If you have a pack of paneer cheese in the fridge, grab it and make this recipe tonight.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
WHAT IS PANEER JALFREZI?
Paneer jalfrezi is a Northern Indian vegetarian dish that consists of paneer (Indian cottage cheese) and a variety of vegetables that are stir-fried together with spices. The dish typically includes bell peppers, onions, tomatoes, and green chili peppers, which are cooked with a blend of spices such as cumin, coriander, turmeric, and garam masala.
The dish is known for its spicy and tangy flavor and can be customized to suit individual preferences by adjusting the level of heat and seasoning.
HOW SPICY IS JALFREZI?
Jalfrezi can be moderately to very spicy, as it often includes green chili peppers and other spices like cumin, coriander, and garam masala. However, the heat level can be adjusted to taste by adding or reducing the amount of chili peppers or by using milder varieties of chili peppers
Gather your spices, panner and vegetables and you are read to make this dish.
HOW TO MAKE PANEER JALFREZI
An easy Indian recipe to make and ready in under 30 minutes.
Cook onions, garlic and ginger.
Add spices and tomatoes.
Add paneer cubes and bell pepper strips.
Serve and enjoy!
- To make the dish spicier, add green chili peppers or more red chili powder.
- If the sauce is too thick, add a little bit of water to adjust the consistency.
- You can also add other vegetables of your choice like cauliflower or mushrooms to the dish.
- To make the dish creamier, you can add a little bit of heavy cream or yogurt to the sauce.
- Make sure not to overcook the paneer as it may become tough and rubbery.
MAKE THIS VEGAN
For a vegan jalfrezi recipe it is as simple as replacing the paneer with tofu and the ghee with coconut oil. The tofu cubes should be added to the pan with the onion if you prefer them firm.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH PANEER JALFREZI
If you are serving this paneer jalfrezi recipe as a main, add a side of our keto garlic naan bread or keto roti. This also makes a great side dish served alongside mushroom bhaji and celeriac rice.
If you have any leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the fridge and it will last up to 4 days. Reheat the paneer jalfrezi on the stove.
MORE PANEER RECIPES
If you have homemade paneer or store-bought paneer in your fridge, you may want to try this other low carb recipes.
- 8 oz paneer cheese cut into cubes or strips
- ½ red bell pepper cut into strips
- ½ green bell pepper cut into strips
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 medium tomato diced
- ½ cup tomato puree
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon lime juice this could be replaced with lemon juice
- In a large skillet or pan, heat the ghee on a medium heat.
- Add cumin seeds and sauté for a few seconds until they start to splutter.
- Add the onions and sauté until the onions turn translucent.
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the spices and lime juice. Cook for 1 minute, stirring to coat the onion mixture.
- Add the tomatoes and tomato puree to the pan. Mix everything well and let it cook for a few more minutes until the sauce thickens and the flavors meld together.
- Add the sliced bell peppers and the paneer cubes. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Serve with freshly chopped cilantro.
YOUR OWN NOTES
Leave a Reply