A low carb pizza made from spaghetti squash is a delicious vegetarian meal. It has a slightly sweet taste and is a creative way to enjoy spaghetti squash.
Spaghetti squash is cooked, then added to cheese, seasoning and an egg to form a delicious pizza base. Slather with the toppings of your choice for a great low carb vegetarian meal.
I will be totally honest with you. This is not a low carb pizza base that tastes like pizza. It’s like cauliflower pizza crust. Who are we kidding? It may be low carb but does not taste the same as wheat and has a taste of its own. However, the taste of this is utterly delicious and after one slice I decided that this was not for sharing! I found the base to be slightly sweet in flavour which went well with a simple topping of mozzarella cheese, cherry tomatoes, olives and fresh basil.
A great thing about this spaghetti squash pizza is that no low carb flour was needed. It’s just spaghetti squash and cheese. The egg helps its binds and I didn’t feel the need for any almond or coconut flour. It baked firm and held the toppings well.
How to cook spaghetti squash
To make this spaghetti squash pizza base the spaghetti squash needs to be cooked beforehand. There are a few ways you can do this, in addition from the one I have listed in the recipe card.
- – Microwave – Cut in half, remove seeds and microwave for 10-15 minutes.
- Cut in half and bake – Cut the spaghetti squash in half, remove the seeds and bake for 35 mins at 200C/400F degrees
- Cut into rings and bake – Cut the spaghetti squash into rings widthways, remove the seeds and bake for 25 minutes
More low carb pizza recipes
Spaghetti Squash Pizza
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 medium egg
- 1/4 cup Parmesan, vegetarian grated
- 3/4 cup mozzarella grated
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Cook The Spaghetti Squash
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F degrees
- Cut the squash into rings, scoop out the seeds and any stringy strands.
- Place on a parchment lined baking tray and bake for 20 to 25 minutes until soft and golden
- Remove from the oven, to cool before you handle them
Make the Pizza Base
- Cut the cooked squash flesh from the outer skin.
- Squeeze the liquid out by placing the spaghetti squash in a nut bag or use a muslin cloth. Squeeze well as you don’t want a soggy bottom.
- Place the squeezed spaghetti squash in a bowl and add thecheese, beaten egg and seasoning.
- Mix well until all the ingredients are combined.
- Spread the mixture out on an parchment paper lined baking tray and shape the mixture into a pizza base circle.
- Bake at 200C/400F degrees for 10 minutes, flip over the base and bake for a further 10 minutes.
- Add your toppings and bake for a further 10 minutes.