This sugar free vegan coquito recipe is great for the holidays and makes a great vegan alternative to egg nog. A delicious holiday drink that is low carb, dairy-free and gluten-free.
Coquito originates from Puerto Rico and has been called "eggnog's sassy cousin". With a name like Coquito, you know that this island drink is full of Christmas cheer!.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
What is Coquito?
Coquito is one of the most traditional Christmas and Holiday treats in Puerto Rico. It is sometimes referred to as a Puerto Rican eggnog! Coquito is traditionally made with rum, coconut milk, cream of coconut, evaporated milk, sweet condensed milk, and flavors of cinnamon, vanilla and nutmeg are added to make this a delicious coconut flavored rum drink.
Is Rum Keto?
A few spirits are keto friendly but should always be consumed with moderation.
A caution must be mentioned that although some alcohol may be carb free it needs to be burnt off by your body first. The drink jumps to the front of the queue over fats and carbs and can kick you out of ketosis.
This dairy-free coquito is easy to make sugar free by using our keto coconut condensed milk in place of high sugar tinned condensed coconut milk.
- Rum - we used a dark rum from Barbados as we know the brand does not add sugar but a white rum could be used for this too.
- Coconut Milk - use a full fat tinned coconut milk. Coconut milk from a carton will not have the same consistency.
- Condensed Coconut Milk - we use our sugar free condensed coconut milk to keep this low carb.
- Coconut Cream - Tinned is preferable and can often be found in the liquor department with the cocktail mixers.
- Spices - nutmeg, cinnamon and vanilla extract give this cocktail it's warm flavor.
How to Make Vegan Coquito
The great thing about this vegan version of a popular holiday drink is that it is quick and simple. Everything is mixed in a blender. It's better if the cocktail is chilled before serving to allow the flavors to develop.
Keto Vegan Coquito
- ¾ cup keto coconut condensed milk
- 1 cup coconut cream canned
- 2 cups coconut milk canned
- 1 ½ cups rum adjust to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place all of the ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Adjust to taste with the spices and rum. If you don’t like your drink too strong add half a cup of rum at a time.
- Pour into a bottle or jug with lid and chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
- Serve over ice and with cinnamon sticks (optional)
YOUR OWN NOTES