Easy lemon ricotta fritters are a savoury keto recipe for summer. A light appetizer or lunch, these ricotta cheese fritters have a scrumptious flavour of lemon and basil.
This recipe is a version of a pan fried gnocchi I used to make, but the shape is more of a fritter. Lemon ricotta fritters are often a sweet dessert, but I’ve made this into a keto vegetarian savoury dish by omitting any sweetener and using basil.
I used the last bag of lemon zest in my freezer hoping that this recipe was going to be worth it. We don’t import lemons here in St Lucia, so I freeze as much lemon juice and rind to keep me going until the next lemon season. This ricotta fritter recipe did not disappoint and was worthy of my last rind!
How to make ricotta fritters
This easy low carb ricotta recipe has a few ingredients:
- Ricotta – Either store bought or home made.
- Lemon zest – essential for the flavour. Lemon juice might work but I like the flavour that the zest brings.
- Basil – Fresh basil goes so well with the lemon and gives the fritters a more savoury taste.
- Parmesan cheese – use vegetarian parmesan.
- Egg yolk – this helps to bind the fritters
- Oat fiber – I had previously used coconut flour for this recipe but found oat fiber a better option as it did not overpower the flavour of the fritters which coconut flour can. Another flour substitute would be almond flour.
You simply mix the ingredients into a dough and shape into fritters. Small and thin cooks better than larger fritters. Larger fritters may spread in the pan. I rolled my fritters in more oat fiber before frying to give them a slightly crispy coating.
Make the fritters ahead and store in the fridge until you are ready to cook them.
Serve with a dipping sauce or a marinara sauce.
They are easy to reshape if they start to spread out when cooking. Reshape them with a spatula.
More low carb ricotta recipes
- 15 oz ricotta cheese
- 1 cup parmesan cheese vegetarian
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons oat fiber add more if required
- 1/4 cup basil, fresh chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
To cook fritters
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or avocado oil
- 1/4 cup oat fiber to roll fritters in
- In a medium size bowl add the ricotta, Parmesan, egg yolk, lemon zest, basil, salt & pepper. Mix well.
- Add the oat fibre and mix until you have a dough. If the mixture is too sticky, gradually add more oat fibre.
- Take small amounts of the dough and roll into pieces, about the side of a walnut and flatten into a fritter shape. Thin will fry better.
- In a shallow bowl add the remaining oat fiber and roll the fritters in the fiber to coat them.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan on a medium heat.
- Place the fritters in the frying pan and cook for about 2 minutes each side, until golden. Flip them carefully, as they can be delicate.
- If they fall apart, you can reshape them in the pan
- Serve immediately.