This low carb white Yule log has a light vanilla sponge, filled with cranberry sauce and a mascarpone cream. Smothered with more cream this is a delicious slice of low carb cake.
The sharpness of the cranberries goes well with the creamy mascarpone and stops it being too sweet. The sponge is made without butter and is firm but light.
How to make a white yule log
This is a simple cake recipe that you can adapt with other flavours. It's easy to make and only takes 20 minutes to bake.
Rolling the sponge is easy. Just ensure that it's not too hot to handle and gently roll the sponge up firmly. Don't worry about any cracks as they will be smothered with cream later!
For the sweetener I used allulose as it’s a favourite without any aftertaste but other low carb sweeteners would work fine in this recipe.
I used my cranberry sauce for the filling to balance out the sweetness of the creamy filling and topping.
Recipe Tips & Suggestions
If you wanted to make this a dairy free white yule log, replace the mascarpone cream with whipped coconut cream.
Enjoy with a glass of keto egg nog
More low carb desserts
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
White Yule Log
Make the Sponge
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees
- Grease and line a rectangle baking tin ( 9 x 13 inch, 22.9cm x 33cm) with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- In another medium bowl, beat the egg yolks, vanilla and allulose together.
- Add the coconut flour, baking powder and salt. Mix well until smooth.
- Gently fold in the egg whites until you have a light batter. Don’t overwork folding the egg whites in.
- Pour the cake batter into the baking tin and smooth evenly.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until firm.
- Remove the baking tin from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Put a large piece of parchment paper on your countertop and place the baking tin on the parchment paper, sponge facing down. Remove the tin from the sponge.
- Using the parchment paper on the top of the sponge, gently roll up the cake. This is to keep the sponge in the correct shape before adding the filling.
- Set aside to cool.
Make the Filling
- Whisk the mascarpone and the allulose in a medium bowl until smooth.
- Add the vanilla extract and the cream. Continue to whisk until the mixture is smooth and thick enough to spread.
- Gently unroll the cake, remove the top layer of parchment paper and spread the cranberry sauce over the sponge.
- Spoon about ¾ of the mascarpone cream topping over the cranberry sauce and spread it out evenly.
- Using the outer layer of parchment paper roll up the sponge again.
- Use the remaining mascarpone topping to cover the sponge and smooth it out in a rough log effect.
- Trim the edges for a neater sponge.
- Slice, eat and enjoy!
YOUR OWN NOTES