This quick and crispy low carb grilled cheese is made in the air fryer for an easy snack or light meal. Ready in less than10 minutes and gluten-free too.
Air frying your grilled cheese sandwich is a great way to enjoy it without it being too greasy from cooking in a pan. Crispy bread with a melty cheese filling hits the spot for a low carb snack and tastes great!
When you want a filling snack or don't want to spend hours cooking, a grilled cheese comes to the rescue every time!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
HOW MANY CARBS IN A GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICH?
A regular grilled cheese will be high in carbs because of the bread used and can have about 26g net carbohydrates. It's an easy recipe to make low carb when you swap the bread with this recipe being just 5g net carbs a serving.
This is even easier if you have low carb bread to hand. For this air fryer toasted sandwich recipe we use a 90-second bread recipe made with almond flour.
The cheese can be any vegetarian friendly cheese but it helps if it melts well. For this recipe we used a mixture of sliced Gouda and Cheddar.
Ensure that the butter is soft and spreadable. If it is hard, you can grate it before spreading.
HOW TO MAKE AIR FRYER GRILLED CHEESE
We are assuming that you have made the bread for these visual instructions, but the 90 second bread recipe will be in the recipe card below. Store purchased keto bread is great to use too.
Butter both slices on one side each
Add the cheese onto a slice
Place the other bread slice on top of the cheese and into the air fryer basket
Air fry and flip over half way
To make the bread a loaf shape we use these toast shape boxes but a square microwave dish can be used (about 5 or 6 inch square)
USING A SKILLET
If you don't have an air fryer, cook the grilled cheese on a skillet or frying pan. Butter the bread, sandwich the cheese in between the 2 bread slices and cook butter side up for 3-5 minutes each side until golden.
AIR FRYER TIPS
To hold the bread slices together, use a tooth pick. The fan may blow your sandwich apart. Remember to remove the tooth pick before eating.
A low carb grilled cheese can use many variations of cheese but add other ingredients to make an ultimate low carb grilled cheese snack. A few suggestions are:
- Brie with cranberry sauce
- Pizza Grilled Cheese - This recipe uses a coconut flour 90 second bread recipe, mozzarella cheese and marinara sauce.
- Sliced fried mushrooms with Swiss cheese
- Mature Cheddar with our Savoury Chia Jam
- Grilled vegetables with Cheddar cheese.
- Spinach, ricotta and Swiss cheese.
The filling suggestions are endless!
JALAPENO POPPER GRILLED CHEESE
This is my very favourite grilled cheese recipe. The creamy cheesy filling with the kick of jalapenos and crunchy, air fried bread is utter perfection. Well, to me it is!
Take one jalapeno, and slice it. Mix cream cheese and shredded cheddar.
Spread the cheese mixture on one slice of bread and top with sliced jalapenos. Air fry or grill.
You may have leftover grilled cheese as this is very filling as it's a high fibre bread. Keep any leftovers in an air tight container in the fridge. Reheat the next day in the air fryer or a skillet.
If you microwave this, it may become a bit soft.
CAN YOU FREEZE GRILLED CHEESE?
The pre-cooked grilled cheese can be frozen which can be hand if you are making batches. Butter and fill the bread slices with cheese and place an air tight bag and freeze until ready to eat.
Place the frozen sandwiches in the air fryer and cook as per the recipe card. Ensure that the cheese has melted and the bread has been cooked through
WHAT TO SERVE WITH A LOW CARB GRILLED CHEESE
Air Fryer Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil or olive oil
- 6 tablespoons almond flour
- 1 tablespoon psyllium husk powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 oz Cheddar cheese grated
- 2 slices Gouda
- 2 tablespoons butter softened
Make the Bread
- In a medium bowl add the eggs and oil and whisk to combine.
- In another medium bowl add the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Add the dry mixture to the egg mixture and mix. If the mixture is too thick, add a tablespoon or two of water.
- Light spray a square container or dish with oil. We use a toast shape container but a 5 or 6 inch square microwave dish is fine.
- Pour the mixture into the container and microwave for 90 seconds.
- Remove and allow to cool slightly before handling. Turn out the cooked bread and with a sharp knife slice cut lengthways into two even slices.
Air Fry the Grilled Cheese
- Preheat the air fryer according to the manufacturers instructions.
- Butter one side of both bread slices.
- Place the cheese on one slice (the unbuttered side). Cover with the other slice, butter side outwards.
- Place in the air fryer and use a toothpick to hold the sandwich together to prevent the air fryer fans blowing the sandwich apart.
- Cook at 190C/375F for 3 minutes, turn the sandwich over and cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Remove the toothpick, slice in half and serve!
YOUR OWN NOTES