A low carb chia seed jam recipe with tomatoes and chili makes a great spicy low carb relish. Slather this spicy chia jam over a cucumber canape or keto crackers.
This savoury chia seed jam is a great alternative to sweet chia jam recipes. It's the perfect relish for a vegetarian burger. The addition of chili to this tomato jam makes gives a lift of flavour. It's not too hot but gives the right about of tingle on your palate.
I love to serve this chia relish with a cheese board and low carb crackers. It's a must addition to any gathering. Any cheese board at my house will always feature this tomato jam. It might get lost in the range of cheeses and side dishes, but I know it's there to enjoy!
Protein in Chia Seeds
A one ounce (28g) serving of chia seeds yields 4g net protein. The are a great source of protein for keto vegetarians and vegans.
How to make a savoury chia seed jam
This savoury chili tomato chia seed jam recipe is so easy to make and just has a few ingredients:
- Chia seeds - great seeds to thicken the jam and make this a savoury relish.
- Tomatoes - ensure they are ripe. The better your ingredients, the better the flavour.
- Onion - a small white onion, chopped helps for the texture and flavour of the relish. Red onion would be a great substitute.
- Garlic - I have put one clove but add more if you love your garlic.
- Apple Cider Vinegar - This gives the relish a great sharp taste without being overpowering
- Dried Chilli Flakes - If you love your heat, up the quantity.
- Erythitol - Other low carb sweeteners will work just as well
- Salt & pepper - which recipe does not include this combo?!
The best thing about a chia jam is how easy it is to make. All ingredients but the chia seeds are heated in a saucepan. The chia seeds are used as a thickener.
Store this savoury chia jam in the refrigerator in a sealed container. It should last about a week.
Feel free to add other flavouring to this great savoury chia jam. Perhaps a dash of cumin or lemon juice.
Other Chia Recipes
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Savoury Chia Jam
- 4 tablespoons chia seeds
- 5 medium tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic peeled & chopped
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes or chili powder
- 1 teaspoon erythritol
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Place all the ingredients (apart from the chia seeds) in a saucepan.
- Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the chia seeds.
- Set aside and allow to cool and thicken.
- Slather over everything!
Any nutritional analysis on the website is based on an estimate, calculated by http://nutritiondata.self.com from the individual ingredients in each recipe. Variations may occur for various reasons, including product availability and food preparation. We make no representation or warranty of the accuracy of this information.
YOUR OWN NOTES