Avocado is used in this keto vegan pesto recipe instead of a hard cheese which gives way to a very creamy pesto sauce that is great slathered over veggies, vegetable noodles, as a dip or sandwich filling
I could eat this out of the jar with a spoon! Simple to make and tasty to eat! I sometimes find regular pesto a bit oily, so this is a great alternative. Avocado's are a great superfood, packed with nutrients and heart-healthy compounds too!
Store in the refrigerator . I kept mine in a jar with a screw-top lid and it kept for a week.
How to make avocado pesto
As with most pesto recipes, it is as simple as placing all the ingredients in a blender and blitzing until smooth. Add more oil for the consistency you want and voila!
The ingredients for this keto vegan pesto are:
- Avocado - the star of the recipe. Make sure it is ripe, soft and green.
- Basil - gives the extra taste and smell
- Pine nuts - the classic nuts in a pesto.
- Lemon juice - keeps the pesto from going brown and adds to the flavour.
- Avocado oil - you could use olive oil for a substitute.
Toast the pine nuts for an extra flavour.
If you don't have pinenuts, walnuts or almond nuts are a great substitution.
Add more lemon juice when taste testing. I've been conservative with it for this recipe but you may want to use more.
Other keto avocado recipes
- 1 avocado
- 1 cup basil, fresh
- ⅓ cup pine nuts
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Peel the avocado, remove the stone and cut into chunks.
- Place all the ingredients into a food processor or a blender and blitz until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.