Fennel slaw is a refreshing coleslaw made with white cabbage and fennel in a creamy dressing. A great low carb summer salad and side dish.
This low carb coleslaw recipe is full of flavour and the slight anise flavour of the raw fennel is uplifting. Allow the ingredients to develop and make this ahead.
What to serve with fennel slaw
How do you cut fennel for coleslaw
Make sure that the fennel bulb is firm and fresh. Older fennel will not cut well and is better being cooked that eaten raw.
With a sharp knife and steady hand, slice the top and bottom off the fennel bulb. Place the fennel upright on one cut side and slice in half. Turn the cut halves onto your cutting board, then thinly slice the fennel.
Add red cabbage for a dash of colour to the fennel slaw.
Keep the trimmed fronds from the fennel bulb for a garnish.
Add chopped walnuts as a garnish for a delicious flavour.
Other Side Dish Recipes
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
- ½ head white cabbage
- 1 fennel bulb
- ¼ cup parsley chopped
- 3 green onions
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Thinly slice the cabbage and fennel (or use the slice feature in a food processor).
- Slice the green onions.
- Place the cabbage, fennel, parsley and onions in a medium bowl.
- In a small bowl mix the mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice, salt, pepper, celery salt and mustard.
- Spoon the mayonnaise mixture into the bowl with the cabbage and fennel.
- Stir well until combined. Taste and adjust the seasoning if required.
- Let the coleslaw sit in the fridge for an hour before serving to let the flavors develop.
YOUR OWN NOTES