Celebrate summer with this delicious keto recipe for chocolate ice cream. With only a few ingredients, you can make this easy low carb ice cream recipe at home.
This creamy dessert is made with mascarpone cream cheese for a delicious rich texture with chocolate flavor. We have made the ice cream in an ice cream maker but it's just as easy to make it as a no churn recipe too.
Deliciously creamy with the taste of chocolate, try a scoop or two on a low carb brownie!
CARBS IN MASCARPONE
Mascarpone is a cream cheese from Italy that has a smoother texture and is slightly sweeter than regular cream cheese. Made from heavy cream it has a higher fat content than cream cheese but a lower protein content.
There are just 1g net carbohydrates in mascarpone cheese per a 1oz (28g) making it a great low carb ingredient to use and is lower in carbs than cream cheese.
Just a few low carb ingredients are all you need to make this creamy keto chocolate ice cream recipe.
For the chocolate chips and cocoa, ensure that they are sugar-free.
The sweetener we use is allulose but any other low carb sweetener can be used.
HOW TO MAKE KETO CHOCOLATE ICE CREAM
We used an ice cream maker for this recipe as it does deliver a creamy texture without any ice crystals. However, we have also made this as a no churn ice cream and the result was just as delicious.
Make a custard base on the stove
Add melted chocolate, cocoa & salt
Fold in heavy whipping cream
Churn the ice cream mixture in a canister and freeze
Keep the ice cream in an air tight container in the freezer and it should last for at least 2 months.
This creamy chocolate keto ice cream recipe can be adapted for other flavors if chocolate is not your interest. Remove the cocoa powder and melted chocolate and try these other flavors or add your own flair:
- Peanut butter
- Berries put through a blender
- Lemon juice
- Vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
We have tried this recipe with cream cheese and it was just as delicious.
As this recipe uses egg yolks, you will have egg whites left over. Make an egg white omelette or use them in a coconut macaroon recipe.
Place a 1lb loaf tin in the freezer. Follow the recipe card but instead of churning the ice cream mixture, spoon it into the loaf tin. Cover with clingfilm and place in the freezer. Gently stir the ice cream mixture through every 30-40 minutes to distribute the ice crystals for about 3-4 hours until the mixture is firm.
MORE KETO ICE CREAM RECIPES
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Keto Chocolate Ice Cream
- Place the ice cream canister in the freezer overnight.
- Prepare a medium pan with a few inches of water and simmer.
- In a large glass bowl, whisk the egg yolks and allulose until smooth.
- Place the bowl over the saucepan of simmering water, ensuring that the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water. Whisk for about 8 minutes until the mixture is thick, pale and fluffy and increased in volume.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool for a couple of minutes.
- Fold in the mascarpone cheese and stir until combined.
- Add the cocoa, salt and melted chocolate and stir well.
- In a separate bowl whisk the cream into stiff peaks.
- Fold the cream into the mascarpone mixture and gently mix.
- Pour into the canister of an ice-cream maker and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Spoon the churned cream into an air tight container and place in the freezer for at least 4 hours.
YOUR OWN NOTES