These keto cranberry cookies are a great cookie for the holidays. Baked with almond flour and flavoured with orange rind they have a shortbread texture that is utterly delicious.
This is our current favourite cookie recipe as it tastes like a regular shortbread cookie with a delicious flavour..
Are cranberries keto?
Cranberries are lower in net carbs than blueberries. Per a 100g serving cranberries have 8g net carbs against 12g for blueberries. Although cranberries can be part of a keto diet, they are best consumed in moderation.
How to make keto cranberry cookies
We used dried cranberries for this recipe as fresh can be hard to find where we live and they can burst in cookie cooking. I like fresh in a cake or muffin but prefer the chewiness of a dried cranberry in a cookie.
When using dried cranberries check the labels for how they are sweetened and the sugar content. Alternatively, making your own with a low carb sweetener is easy.
Orange rind flavours the cookie and gives it a festive flavour. Although oranges are not keto you are only using 2 tablespoons of orange rind opposed to the whole orange.
Can you freeze the dough?
Not only can you freeze this low carb almond flour dough, you can make it ahead and keep it in the fridge for a few days before use. To freeze, wrap the dough in cling film and it should freeze up to 2 months.
How to store low carb almond flour cookies
Keep these cookies in an air tight container in the fridge. They will slightly harden but will not be too crunchy. The cookies should last for 5-6 days in the fridge. Congratulations if yours make it that long. Ours did not!
Add cinnamon to the cookies for a great flavour.
Drizzle with a lemon glaze or lemon cream cheese frosting for extra taste.
Be careful not to burn the bottoms of these cookies. Keep an eye on the cooking time as ovens can vary. We would recommend that the cookies are baked in the middle oven shelf too.
We used them and the dough cut into leaf shapes for our low carb pumpkin pie. Who can't say no to a plate of pie and cookies?
More low carb cookie recipes
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Keto Cranberry Cookies
- In a medium bowl, cream the butter and the sweetener.
- Beat in the egg.
- Add the almond flour, coconut flour, salt, baking powder and orange rind and mix until you have a soft cookie dough.
- Gently work in the chopped cranberries.
- Place the dough in the fridge for 10 minutes to firm up.
- Roll out the cookie dough between two pieces of parchment paper
- Using a cookie cutter cut out the cookie shapes and place them on a parchment paper lined baking tray
- Bake for 15-20 minutes at180C/350F degrees until the edge of the cookies are golden.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and allow to cool completely before eating.
YOUR OWN NOTES