This keto stollen is a sugar-free and gluten-free version of the classic German Christmas recipe. A low carb dough with spices, candied fruit and nuts surrounds an keto almond paste.
Stollen makes a great alternative to Christmas cake if you would prefer a more dough based treat rather than a fruit cake. It has all the warm spices, candied fruit with the addition of an almond paste centre.
A slice of this is Christmas breakfast according to my husband when he tasted his first slice. I was delighted as my grandparents are German and Stollen was something I enjoyed over the Christmas holidays when they visited us from Hamburg in the UK.
What is Stollen?
Stollen is almost bread like with the dough but is filled with chopped nuts, dried fruits, candied peels and spices with a marzipan filling. The top of this seasonal dessert is covered with a powdered sugar which I like to think represents the snowy time of the year in northern Germany.
How to make Keto Stollen
This easy recipe mixes the dry and wet ingredients in two separate bowls. They are then combined to make a low carb dough, with the addition of sugar free candied peel and ginger.
Before you make the keto Stollen there are are few ingredients you need to make beforehand.
- The almond paste need to be prepared. This will be inside the stollen dough and helps keep it moist.
- The sugar free orange peel and ginger. At Christmas we have this to hand as it is quick to make but you need this the day before you use it in this keto Stollen recipe. For the sugar free orange peel we took a regular recipe and swapped the sugar with monkfruit.
- For the dried fruit element, we used dried cranberries and blueberries and soaked them in rum for extra moisture and festive flavour.
- Roll out the dough.
- Place the almond paste log on the dough.
- Using the parchment paper, roll up the dough around the almond paste.
- Secure the edges and bake.
Store the stollen in an air tight container in the refrigerator. It should last up to 2 weeks.
This freezes well and will last up to 3 months frozen.
More low carb Christmas treats
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons butter melted
Fruit & Nuts
- ½ cup mixed candied orange rind and ginger
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- ¼ cup dried cranberries soaked in rum
- 1 tablespoon butter melted
- ¼ cup allulose powdered sweetener
- 7 oz almond paste
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Shape the almond paste into around a 7 inch long log. Thisneeds to fit the length of the Stollen dough so you may need to adjust it.
- In a medium bowl add all the dry ingredients and mix.
- In another medium bowl beat the wet ingredients until smooth.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix well.
- Stir in the fruit and nut ingredients until you have a stiff dough that can be shaped.
- Place the dough onto a layer of parchment paper and press into a rectangle shape
- Take the rolled almond paste tube and place it about ¾ of the edge on the dough.
- Using the parchment paper roll up the dough around and over the almond paste roll. Seal the seams.
- Place on the baking tray and bake for 30 to 40 minutes until golden and firm.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Brush the stollen with melted butter and dust with allulose.
- Slice and serve.
YOUR OWN NOTES