Tofu is marinated in a spicy coconut marinade in this easy grilled tofu skewers recipe. The flavours of coconut, chili, fresh ginger and lime are a delicious combination for this tofu recipe.
Many Thai tofu recipes are made with a satay sauce but this is a great nut-free option. Make this dish overnight for the flavours to develop.
How to make Thai grilled tofu skewers
This is such an easy recipe as the marinade is made in minutes. For the tofu, you need a firm tofu for it to hold well whilst cooking.
We used tinned coconut cream but you could use coconut milk. The marinade may be thinner though. If you want a thicker coconut milk sauce, place a tin in the refrigerator overnight. Open the can and gently spoon the thick coconut from the top.
The marinade for this keto vegan recipe is made in a blender and has a great green colour. This is poured over tofu cubes which are then placed in the refrigerator to absorb the flavours for at least 2 hours.
The tofu cubes are threaded onto bamboo skewers that have been soaked in water prior to use. This helps keep the tofu cubes from falling into the grill as well as looking neat too!
Other ways to cook tofu
If you don't have a grill or it's too cold to fire it up, you could cook the tofu in a frying pan or even an air fryer without a skewer.
A griddle pan will also give you the same grilled lines on the tofu as a grill too. Spoon some of the marinade over the tofu chunks whilst cooking for extra flavour.
This marinade can be used on low carb vegetables too. Try it with eggplant cubes and mushrooms too.
If you are not a lover of cilantro it could be left out. Thai basil might be a flavorsome replacement but not essential.
More low carb tofu recipes
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Spicy Thai Coconut Grilled Tofu Skewers
- 16 oz Firm tofu
- 400 ml coconut cream tinned
- 4 cloves garlic cloves peeled and chopped
- 3 green chilis seeds removed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger peeled and grated
- 2 limes zest & juice
- 1 tablespoon monkfruit sweetener or other low carb sweetener
- ½ cup cilantro fresh
- Place all the marinade ingredients in a blender and process until mixed thoroughly.
- Remove the tofu from the packet and blot with kitchen towel to remove any moisture.
- Cut the tofu into cubes and place into a sealable container or bowl.
- Pour the marinade over the tofu cubes, cover and place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- Thread the tofu cubes onto prepared skewers.
- Prepare the grill to a medium heat. Place the skewers on the grill and cook for 5 minutes each side, until you have grill marks on them and the cubes are golden.
- Serve with a side of the remaining marinade sauce and top with chopped coriander.
YOUR OWN NOTES
Leave a Reply