This air fryer tempeh bacon recipe is made with tamari sauce, sugar free maple syrup and smoky tempeh strips for a healthier keto vegan bacon alternative.
With this simple and flavorful recipe, you can enjoy the smoky, crispy goodness of bacon while staying true to your dietary preferences. Tempeh, a fermented soybean product, serves as the perfect base for creating a vegan bacon alternative that is low in carbs and high in protein. By combining a few key ingredients and utilizing the air fryer, you'll achieve a mouthwatering tempeh bacon that will leave you wanting more.
The combination of marinating the tempeh in a flavorful blend of ingredients and cooking it in an air fryer results in a bacon-like texture with a mouthwatering taste. Embrace the versatility of this gluten-free and keto tempeh bacon and explore the countless possibilities of incorporating it into your meals.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
What is Tempeh?
Tempeh is a traditional Indonesian food made from fermented soybeans. It is a popular plant-based protein source and a staple in vegetarian and vegan diets. The process of making tempeh involves cooking and fermenting whole soybeans with a specific strain of beneficial bacteria called Rhizopus oligosporus. This fermentation process binds the soybeans together into a compact cake-like form.
Tempeh has a firm texture and a slightly nutty flavor. It is known for its high protein content, making it a nutritious substitute for meat in various dishes. It also contains fiber, vitamins (such as B vitamins), minerals (such as iron and calcium), and beneficial plant compounds.
- Tempeh - this can be purchased in supermarkets or health food stores.
- Tamari - a gluten free alternative to soy sauce.
- Liquid smoke - helps the smoky flavor of the vegan bacon.
- Hot sauce - we use Franks hot sauce as it's a sugar free hot sauce.
- Sugar-free Maple syrup - we use the Besti brand. You could try this recipe with a low carb sweetener, preferably a golden one for the flavor.
- Smoked paprika - has a sweeter and smokier flavor.
How to Make Air Fryer Tempeh Bacon
The tempeh needs to be marinated, then you are ready to cook it in the air fryer.
Slice the tempeh into strips and mix the marinade.
Add the tempeh strips to the marinade.
Place the tempeh strips in an air fryer.
Eat and enjoy
Make a Tempeh BLT
By using low carb bread, you can enjoy a vegetarian tempeh BLT. We used our 90 second keto bread for a tasty sandwich. For a vegan sandwich you would need to use a keto vegan recipe. Try our vegan bread rolls for a tempeh bacon breakfast roll.
Tempeh bacon is best enjoyed fresh, but you can store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat in the air fryer or skillet for a few minutes to restore crispness before serving.
If you don't have an air fryer you can fry the tempeh bacon strips in a skillet until crispy or bake in the oven.
Taste the marinade before use and adjust to your own preference. Other flavors to use are onion powder, garlic powder and apple cider vinegar.
Keto Air Fryer Tempeh Bacon
- 16 oz tempeh
- Cut the tempeh block into thin slices, about ¼ inch thick. You can slice them into strips to resemble bacon or cut them into any desired shape.
- In a shallow dish, whisk together marinade ingredients.
- Place the tempeh slices into the marinade, ensuring each piece is coated evenly. Let it marinate for at least 2 hours to allow the flavors to develop. You can also marinate it overnight in the refrigerator for a more intense flavor.
- Preheat the air fryer according to the manufacture instructions.
- Once marinated, place the tempeh slices in a single layer in the air fryer basket, making sure they're not overlapping.
- Cook the tempeh in the air fryer for 10-15 minutes at 190C/375F degrees, flipping halfway through the cooking time.
- Keep an eye on the tempeh as it cooks to prevent burning. You want it to turn crispy and golden brown.
- Once the tempeh bacon is cooked to your desired level of crispness, remove it from the air fryer and let it cool for a few minutes before serving.
- Enjoy your homemade keto-friendly, vegan tempeh bacon! You can serve it as a side dish, in sandwiches, in a salad, or any way you like.
YOUR OWN NOTES