Keto vegan tempeh fajitas are a delicious and healthy way to enjoy a Mexican-inspired meal while staying true to your dietary restrictions
Tempeh, a fermented soybean product, is used as a protein source in this recipe, which is perfect for vegans or anyone looking to cut back on meat consumption. These fajitas are also low-carb, making them an excellent choice for those following a ketogenic diet.
These keto vegan tempeh fajitas are a healthy and satisfying meal that is perfect for any time of day.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
WHAT IS TEMPEH?
Tempeh is a fermented soybean product that originated in Indonesia. It is made by cooking and fermenting whole soybeans with a type of mold called Rhizopus oligosporus. The mold binds the soybeans together to form a dense, firm cake-like product.
Tempeh is a popular plant-based source of protein and is often used as a meat substitute in vegetarian and vegan dishes. It has a nutty, earthy flavor and a chewy texture that is similar to meat. Tempeh is also a good source of fiber, vitamins, and minerals, and is low in fat and calories.
In addition to soybeans, tempeh can also be made with other grains, such as rice, barley, and wheat. This allows for a variety of flavors and textures, depending on the ingredients used.
IS TEMPEH KETO FRIENDLY?
Tempeh can be a great addition to a keto diet because it is high in protein and low in carbohydrates. A 3-ounce (85-gram) serving of tempeh contains around 9 grams of net carbs, which is a relatively low amount and can fit into a keto diet plan.
However, it's important to note that some commercially available tempeh products may contain added ingredients, such as wheat or other grains, which can increase the carbohydrate content. Therefore, it's important to check the nutrition label and ingredient list before purchasing tempeh if you are following a strict keto diet.
For this recipe you will need:
- Tempeh - check the label for the carb content
- Low Carb Tortillas - we used our flaxseed tortilla recipe to keep this vegan
- Marinade spices - garlic powder, onion powder, tamari sauce, chili powder, chipotle powder, paprika, oregano, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper.
HOW TO MAKE TEMPEH FAJITAS
The tempeh needs to be marinated overnight for the flavors to be absorbed.
Slice the tempeh and it's prepared as any other fajita recipe. Cooked on a sizzling skillet with onions and peppers.
Serve in a low carb tortilla with sides of your choice.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH TEMPEH FAJITAS
Keep this a vegan fajitas recipe by serving with a side of guacamole, chipotle salsa and refried lupini beans. A bowl of refreshing pico de gallo goes well too.
If you are looking for a vegetarian fajita recipe, try our halloumi fajitas.
MORE KETO VEGETARIAN RECIPES TO TRY
Vegan Tempeh Fajitas
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons tamari sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8 oz tempeh
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1 red bell pepper cut into strips
- 1 yellow bell pepper cut into strips
- 4 flaxseed tortillas
Marinade the Tempeh
- In a large bowl add the marinade ingredients and mix well.
- Cut the tempeh into slices and add to the marinade. Cover with plastic wrap or place in an airtight container and keep in the fridge overnight or at least 8 hours,
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the sliced onions and peppers to the skillet and cook for 5-7 minutes until they are tender and slightly caramelized.
- Push the vegetables to one side of the skillet and add the sliced tempeh to the other side. Cook the tempeh for 2-3 minutes on each side until it is golden brown and crispy.
- Reduce the heat to low and let the filling cook for an additional 2-3 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Spoon the tempeh filling onto each tortilla and top with your desired toppings, such as salsa, guacamole, and/or hot sauce. Add a sprinkle of fresh cilantro for an extra burst of flavor.
- Fold the tortillas in half and enjoy!
YOUR OWN NOTES
Leave a Reply