Make a batch of keto salsa verde to use as dip, salad dressing or drizzle over roasted vegetables. A delicious flavour combination of tomatillos, cilantro, jalapeno and garlic give an added extra something to any dish!
Homemade salsa verde is always better than anything you can buy in a jar! It's fresher and packed full of flavour.
What is salsa verde?
This is a green tomato salsa that traditionally uses tomatillos. It's easy to make and is used with chips or on tacos. Serve this with our low carb nacho recipe.
If you can’t find fresh tomatillos, you could substitute them with green tomatoes. I found a can of ready roasted tomatillos in a local store but haven’t seen them since. Next time, I will purchase the whole shelf!
How to make keto salsa verde
The tomatillos are best cooked first. You can either broil or roast them until brown. There are recipes with them raw or boiled but I find that roasting them adds to the flavour.
Once your tomatillos are cooked, it's as simple as blending everything in a food processor or blender to the consistency that you prefer. Enjoy it slightly chunky or smooth.
More low carb dips to enjoy
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Keto Salsa Verde
- 1 lb tomatillos
- 2 jalapeno peppers seeds removed
- 2 green onions chopped
- 3 cloves garlic peeled & chopped
- ½ cup cilantro
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon monkfruit or other low carb sweetener
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F degrees
- Remove any husks from the tomatillos, and cut in half.
- Place the tomatillos on parchment paper lined baking tray (easier to clean!) and roast for 15 minutes. The tomatillos should be cooked through and slightly brown on top.
- Remove from the oven and place in a food processor or blender. Add the remaining ingredients and blitz until smooth.
- Taste test and adjust the heat to your own personal preference.
- Allow to cool before serving.