This lively-tasting chipotle tomato salsa is made with ripe, juicy tomatoes and chipotle chiles for a smoky and medium spiced salsa. A delicious low carb dip for chips and any spicy recipe.
If you are a lover of salsa this is a must try. The chipotle peppers give this a taste tempting flavor with a mild but distinctive spiciness that you will want to serve with everything. This is now my go to salsa and I added it to everything I made the week I first made this.
What is chipotle salsa?
This salsa recipe has nothing to do with the famous restaurant chain as I've never been there and we don't have chain restaurants on the island. This salsa is a cooked tomato salsa heightened with the addition of chipotle peppers in a adobo sauce.
The adobo sauce add a great smoky flavour with a good amount of heat without being too overpowering as a chipotle is simply a smoked dried jalapeño.
Carbs in Salsa
Salsa is naturally a low carb dish and a ¼ cup can have just 3g net carbs a serving. Being made with natural ingredients, salsa is a great vegetarian dip or appetizer. It's refreshing too.
Keto Chipotle Salsa Ingredients
The ingredients for this keto friendly salsa can be tweaked to your own preference but the tomatoes, onions, garlic and chipotle in adobo sauce are a must!
If you can purchase mexican oregano use that! I will be jealous as it adds a better flavour (and is a herb I can't get here)
Cilantro can be a love or hate ingredient and can be omitted. Add fresh parsley instead to serve. It has a mild flavour but adds a touch of green!
How to Make Chipotle Salsa
The key to the flavors in this easy salsa is chargrilling the tomatoes, onions and garlic. This with the addition of the chipotle peppers makes a deliciously smoky flavour with the kick of smooth heat.
- Chop the tomatoes in pieces, half the onions and peel the garlic.
- In a heated pan add the tomatoes, onions and garlic. No oil is needed.
- Cook until slightly chargrilled.
- Place all ingredients in the food processor.
- Blitz until mildly chunky.
- Cook for 20 minutes until thickened and ready to be devoured.
How to serve keto chipotle salsa
You may be tempted to eat this directly out of the bowl with a spoon but try it with a few keto friendly chips or nachos. Our current favourite are our lupini flour chips, but try some or even all of these:
This low carb chipotle salsa is also great with vegetarian tacos, burritos and our vegetarian empanadas.
Recipe Tips & Suggestions
Have a play with the flavors but KEEP the chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. They are a major flavor contribution to this salsa.
Add lime juice for a citrus flavour.
Replace the tomatoes with tomatillos.
For extra flavor cook the tomatoes and onions on a BBQ grill before adding to the food processor.
Add chopped jalapeno peppers for extra heat.
We use a white onions for this salsa recipe but red onions are a great option. Or add chopped spring onions into the salsa after cooking.
Frequently Asked Questions
Keep the salsa in an air tight container in the refrigerator. The flavors are great the next day and it will last a week.
Salsa is easy to freeze and will last up to 4 months in the freezer. Store in an airtight container or zip locked bag. Defrost in the fridge before serving.
More keto salsa recipes to enjoy
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Chipotle Tomato Salsa
- 3 large tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic peeled
- 1 small onion peeled
- 1 tablespoon cilantro
- 2 adobo chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Slice the tomatoes into quarters.
- Cut the onion into half.
- Heat a large skillet on a medium heat, with no oil. Add the tomatoes, onion and garlic to the pan and cook for about 5 minutes, turning over to ensure even charring.
- Remove the vegetables and place in a food processor with the over ingredients and process until slightly chunky and not too smooth.
- Pour the mixture back into the skillet and cook for 20 minutes on a medium heat. The sauce should thicken but stir occasionally so it does not burn or stick to the pan.
- Adjust the seasonings for taste and allow to cool before serving (although it’s also delicious warm).
- Serve with low carb chips or use in recipes with salsa required. Serve with chopped fresh cilantro too!
YOUR OWN NOTES