These soft vegan keto bread rolls are light and airy inside, but firm outside for a great dinner roll. They are egg-free, Paleo, dairy-free and gluten-free.
With just a few ingredients, this easy recipe can be made in minutes for a great vegan keto bread that can be used as a dinner roll, served with soup or used as sandwich. Split when warm and slather with some vegan butter!
The great thing about low carb bread is that there is no endless kneading or waiting for the dough to rise. This simple vegan almond flour bread recipe is as easy as mix the ingredients, form a bread roll and bake!
How many carbs in a keto vegan bread roll?
These little fluffy rolls are high in fiber and low in carbs. The nutrition of each roll is:
How to make vegan keto bread rolls
The secret to making these low carb bread rolls rise without yeast is using the combination of baking powder, baking soda and apple cider. Baking powder is the main leavening, which is boosted by the addition of apple cider and baking soda.
Eggs are often used in low carb bread recipes so we used a flaxseed egg to keep this recipe vegan. A flaxseed egg is a couple of tablespoons of ground flaxseed mixed with water and left to swell for 10 minutes. You are left with a thick texture that helps bind the ingredients together.
Psyllium husk powder is the low carb substitute for gluten in this vegan keto bread recipe.
How to store egg free bread.
These soft low carb bread rolls can be store in an air tight container and should last up to 5 days. They should be stored either in the refrigerator.
Can you freeze these?
Yes, freezing these vegan keto breads is fine and it's great to have a batch to hand. Place parchment paper in between the rolls, and store them in a zip lock bag. They will last in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Defrost at room temperature before use. Pop them in the oven for 5 minutes if you wanted warm bread rolls.
What to serve these keto vegan bread rolls with?
Try these as a burger roll with our cauliflower falafel burgers or portobello mushroom burger.
Serve alongside a bowl of low carb vegan cauliflower curry soup or pumpkin coconut soup.
When using psyllium husk powder, we quickly run it through the coffee grinder to make it extra fine.
Do not over work the dough as you will be left with flat rolls.
Brands of psyllium husk powder can vary and some will give a purple colour. This does not affect the flavour at all.
If you make the bread rolls larger, they made need more cooking time to ensure that they are cooked through. We would recommend another 10 minutes.
More low carb vegan bread recipes
Coconut Flour Psyllium Flatbread
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Vegan Keto Bread Rolls
- ¼ cup psyllium husk powder
- ¾ cup almond flour
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons Flaxseed flour/ground flaxseed
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 ¼ cups hot water
Make the Flax Egg
- Mix the ground flaxseed and water together in a small dish. Stand for 10 minutes.
Make the Rolls
- Place the dry ingredients in a medium bowl and whisk until combined.
- Add the oil and flax egg to the dry ingredients and mix.
- Sprinkle the apple cider vinegar on top of the mixture and mix it in.
- Pour the hot water into the mixture a bit a time (in case you don't need it all).
- Mix into a dough and allow it to stand for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/375F degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using clean damp hands, form the dough into balls. We made 8 small ones but this should make 6 medium size rolls too.
- Place the rolls on the baking tray and brush with water. Place any toppings such as sesame seeds on top if using.
- Bake for 30 -35 minutes until the top of the rolls are firm and the bottoms are golden brown.
YOUR OWN NOTES
This is a great recipe! So happy to have found your site!
Angela Coleby says
Thank you! Hope you enjoy the recipes!