These easy celery snacks are made to look like bugs for a fun snack for the children and yourself. Great for a picnic, appetizer or a lunch box treat.
Encourage healthy snacking with these bug themed snacks. Colorful and full of crunch, celery stalks are filled with cream cheese and decorated with vegetables.
Carbs in celery
Celery is a great low carb vegetable as it is also low in calories too. One cup, chopped, of celery offers 3 g of total carbs, 1.4 g of net carbs, 0.2 g of fat, and 0.7 g of protein, according to the USDA. Enjoy a stick of celery for a great keto vegetarian snack or add chopped celery to your salad for added crunch.
How to make insect celery snacks
These healthy keto stuffed celery snacks are quick and easy to make. You can make them ahead of serving and keep them chilled in the fridge.
To make these fun keto snacks you need:
- celery stalks - make sure they are fresh and crunchy.
- cream cheese - this needs to be soft enough to spread into the celery stalks
- small cucumber - slices are used for the bug wings
- radish - these also make colourful crispy wings for the bugs.
- cherry tomatoes - choose fresh and juicy tomatoes
- black olives - I prefer Kalamata. Ensure that you remove the stones.
- chives - small pieces of chives are used for the antennae.
You could use other vegetables to make these bug themed snacks. Crispy, colorful peppers could be cut for the wings or small pieces for the body.
To make these a vegan appetizer, replace the cream cheese with a nut butter such as peanut or almond.
Add herbs or seasoning to the cream cheese for added flavour. Perhaps some chopped basil or tarragon.
Other easy keto appetizers
Greek Salad Stuffed Cucumber Bites
Celery Bug Snacks
- 5 sticks celery
- ½ cup cream cheese softened
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- ½ small cucumber
- 5 olives, black pitted
- 1 radish
- 2 chives
- Trim the cucumber sticks and cut in half
- Thinly slice cucumbers and radishes
- Cut the chives into small one inch pieces.
- Spread the cream cheese into the celery sticks
- Place a cherry tomato at the end of one celery stick
- Cover the rest of the celery stick with the black olives
- Place the cucumber or radish slices inside the celery stick sides for the “wings”
- Poke the chive pieces behind the cherry tomato for the antennae
- Can be chilled before serving.
YOUR OWN NOTES
Join the friendliest vegetarian keto & low carb recipe and support Facebook Group HERE!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Leave a Reply