Grilled Chayote Zucchini Salad has sweet and tender chayote squash and zucchini grilled and tossed in a spicy dressing. A simple side dish that goes great with everything!
This keto vegan chayote salad can be made in under 30 minutes and is great for the BBQ too.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
WHAT IS CHAYOTE?
Chayotes, also called Christophine or vegetable pear, are common in many Latin American and Caribbean dishes, and are becoming increasingly popular in the U.S.
Chayote is a gourd plant in the same family as cucumbers and squash but is often prepared like a vegetable. Sometimes is it referred to as chayote squash, just as zucchini can be called zucchini squash. It has a light slightly sweet taste and can be enjoyed raw or cooked.
This simple, healthy recipe highlights the flavor of grilled chayote with zucchini in a spicy lime dressing, though you can use any type of salad dressing to complement it.
CARBS IN CHAYOTE
Chayote (or Christophine) is a great low carb tropical vegetables. There are not many of them here! At just 6g net carbohydrates in one cup (132g) it can be used in both savory and sweet low carb recipes.
In addition to being low in carbs, chayote is low in calories, fat and full of nutrients. High in fiber, vitamin C and full of antioxidants it's a great vegetable for a low carb diet.
This is a simple salad recipe with just 2 vegetables plus the dressing. Feel free to add other ingredients too!
For the salad dressing we have used warm spices with a touch of heat and lime juice.
HOW TO MAKE CHAYOTE SALAD
The chayote slices are blanched before grilling to soften them and make them easier to cook.
Grill the chayote on both sides
Grill the zucchini strips
Whisk the salad dressing
Assemble and serve
You could add other ingredients to take this salad from side to a hearty main dish. A few suggestions to add are:
- Chopped red onion
- Grilled red pepper
This salad is served fresh but any leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator in a sealed container. This salad will only last up to 2 days in the fridge as the zucchini can become too soggy.
Drizzle a few tablespoons of tzatziki over the salad to serve.
MORE LOW CARB CHAYOTE RECIPES
Grilled Chayote Zucchini Salad
- 3 medium zucchini
- 2 medium chayote
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne powder
- ¼ teaspoon cumin powder
- ¼ teaspoon red chili flakes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Peel the chayote and slice them lengthways about ¼ inch thick.
- Place the chayote slices in boiling water and blanch them for about 5 minutes until slightly soft. Drain them and dry them.
- Trim the top and bottom of the zucchini and slice them lengthways about ¼ inch thick.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the zucchini and chayote and toss in the avocado oil
- Heat the grill on a medium heat or use a griddle pan and cook the zucchini and chayote slices for a few minutes each side until you have golden grill marks.
Make the Dressing
- In a small bowl, add all the dressing ingredients and lightly whisk until combined.
- Place the grilled chayote and zucchini on a serving plate.
- Drizzle the dressing over the vegetables.
- Serve with chopped fresh cilantro (optional) or parsley.
YOUR OWN NOTES