This keto chayote soup is a spicy and creamy low carb vegan soup. It’s a quick and easy recipe ready in under 30 minutes.
A very creamy soup with the cooked chayote almost delivering the same thickening properties that a potato does in your soup. Chayote by itself does not have a lot of flavour, but it works well in this low carb soup recipe.
Is Chayote keto?
Chayote is a great vegetable for a keto diet. As well as having 4g net carbs per cup it has a high fiber content and is rich in vitamin C.
Chayote has many names depending upon where in the world you are. In the Caribbean we mainly know it as christophene. Other names are choko, chuchu and pear squash
What to serve with chayote soup
The smaller the chayote pieces are chopped the better for faster cooking.
Add cumin or cayenne for extra spice.
Can be frozen. Store in a sealed container or zip lock bag. Defrost thoroughly before reheating.
More low carb soups to slurp!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Spicy Chayote Soup
- 2 chayotes
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 jalapeno peppers deseeded and chopped
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil and add the onion, garlic and jalapeno.
- Cook on a medium heat for 3-5 minutes until soft.
- Peel and chop the chayote into small pieces.
- Add the chayote to the saucepan and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the vegetable stock, season with the salt and pepper, then bring to the boil and cover with a lid. Simmer for 15-20 minutes until the chayote is soft.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly before blending.
- Blend the soup with either a hand blender or upright blender until smooth.
- Return to the saucepan and adjust for seasoning. Reheat and serve.
- Serve with chopped green onions.
YOUR OWN NOTES